ro water from lfs should have 0 ammonia right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just tested the tank in my water, and i always think i have either 0 or .25 ammonia

so today i tested my tank water, and the ro water, and they are the exact same color..i guess that means my test kit is wrong or the lfs has ammonia ? i mean nothing looks like 0 ppm to be honest, thats yellow, and all mine always hint at green, yes i check in sunlight or good lighting

can someone show me a picture of 0 ammonia ? im pissed off that all this time i thought i had ammonia lol, butttt it could be that my lfs has a BIT of ammonia as well! pic would be my best way of knowing

testing my other chemicals in a bit when i come back but i need to make sure my RO water is safe to do a water change with this week.

I don't see why there would be ammonia in the RO water. Either you're reading it wrong or the test has gone bad. If your tank is cycled it should have 0 ammonia. If your fish seem to be fine, not breathing heavily then might be an indication that there isn't ammonia.

pairenoid said:
i just tested the tank in my water, and i always think i have either 0 or .25 ammonia

so today i tested my tank water, and the ro water, and they are the exact same color..i guess that means my test kit is wrong or the lfs has ammonia ? i mean nothing looks like 0 ppm to be honest, thats yellow, and all mine always hint at green, yes i check in sunlight or good lighting

can someone show me a picture of 0 ammonia ? im pissed off that all this time i thought i had ammonia lol, butttt it could be that my lfs has a BIT of ammonia as well! pic would be my best way of knowing

testing my other chemicals in a bit when i come back but i need to make sure my RO water is safe to do a water change with this week.

If your using the API test kit then this is the problem most likely, the ammonia test is notoriously inaccurate and gives false readings. Try a salifert ammonia kit for better results.

bleh, i dont want to buy another test kit when my current one will last a few good months, i think ill just assume that the color i get means 0 and gauge it from there...very disappointing

would still like a photo of what 0 ammonia looks like from other users if possible, ill snap a photo of mine in sunlight this week to verify if im colorblind or not

pairenoid said:
bleh, i dont want to buy another test kit when my current one will last a few good months, i think ill just assume that the color i get means 0 and gauge it from there...very disappointing

Assuming test readings will get you into trouble quick. In reality your ammonia could be any number on the scale without knowing with a functioning test kit. Your gonna need a new test kit sooner or later anyways. They do have a shelf life.

I use the API kit and the amm comes back the same yellow color as the card. It's strange that the water from the store would be giving any reading for ammonia... But that may explain why your seeing it in your tank. It's probably a faulty test kit u should bring a sample into the store to test. Even trace amounts of ammonia will eventually kill fish especially if you have high ph.

Here are pictures of 0 ammonia. The lighting doesn't make the color look that great, but it's not pure yellow, but a yellow with a tint of green. The .25 is more of a light green with no yellow.

img_2220416_0_ac07e8eb9673e1ca2be0d4360e6dde7b.jpg

img_2220416_1_6b8814fd2f2091c19361cc9dd652b7c7.jpg

ah alright, it looks just like mine. I guess i was reading it wrong, i thought i had maybe .15 ammonia at the least because it was a yellow but greenish color

thanks for the pic it is easy to see the similarities between that and my test, glad i can know finally

but now ill have to snap a pic of my nitrates because i thought i couldnt get it below 40, maybe its actually lower or something. I always thought i had 40 ppm but everything in my tank acts fine

Yeah it's a lime color. I've found trying to differ 40 and 20 ppm nitrate and especially 10 and 5 ppm on the API color chart to be really difficult. It's a close shade. If it looks 40, it probably is. In the reef test kit they have a different color card which makes the 40 look like a deep orangeish red and the 20 a lighter orange.

Fresh not salt, but I get neon Rockstar-and-vitamin-pee yellow

Attachments

• image-2989868209.jpg
    image-2989868209.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 142
I've only got that color yellow for 0 nitrates. Even w/ 0 ammonia (tested RO/DI water before) it has always had a yellowish lime color. For nitrites it's the same as yours with the sky blue.

**** yours is really yellow. I am thinking mine is 0 since i never have had any nitrite after cycling, otherwise i have a .25 ammonia 0 nitrite 40nitrate ppm forever :/ wouldnt make sense

Yup sorry to confuse things, good info for me to learn as I'm starting saltwater soon too

To get accurate results from ALL test kits, you have to compare colors out doors in natural sun light, makes all the difference in the world

Holygral said:
To get accurate results from ALL test kits, you have to compare colors out doors in natural sun light, makes all the difference in the world

Most test kits suggest moderate natural lighting so by a window etc, so not outside necessarily. Outside would probably give an overly transparent color with direct sunlight.

When you get down to the numbers we want to see, especially in reefs, it becomes really difficult to accurately gauge based on the color strips. I finally broke down and bought a $50 Hanna meter for phosphates. It was an excellent decision.

Back
Top Bottom