Rock Beauty Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would like to here of people's experiences with the Rock Beauty Angel.
My local Petco has one right now that has been there for about 2 weeks, and unlike most of their other fish, looks very healthy, alert, and ich free. Its about 2 1/2-3".
I'm considering adding it to my 180 reef. I do have a fair amount of sponge growing, and only have 4 other fish. Yellow tang, Kole tang, Copperband Butterfly, and a Maroon Goldbanded clown that usually doesn't stray too far from his Nem.
I would like to know what type of corals it may pick at. I'm not too concerned about any sampling of any corals, except for my larger LPS.
Any input will be appreciated, to make this decision, Thanks.

When I had one he was a very mild tempered fish and wouldn't pick at any corals if he was fed properly overall a good fish to add in last though because with age comes aggression (like all the others!)

Thanks for the input saltwater reef...still debating... Anyone else with any experience with this fish?

Saltwater reef said:
I had him in my 450 gallon reef tank and he did fine.

Do you think it would be OK, in a 180? It's small now, but I mean down the road...

Trust me it will be fine for quite a while just watch if you have any stony or frogspawn mine went after some if those but it will be fine

Saltwater reef said:
Trust me it will be fine for quite a while just watch if you have any stony or frogspawn mine went after some if those but it will be fine

Not much SPS, besides types of Montipora, but really large Wall Hammer, Torch, and Pagoda...
Thanks again saltwater, :). Can't get this fish out of my head!!! I just don't see them too often.

They Are a beautiful fish! And saw pics of you're tank and trust he will do just fine!

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll have to go see if he's still there tomorrow. Been there for awhile, and surprisingly looked really healthy and alert. Felt bad for him, in that little holding tank, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

Cough..umm...Petco. At my local store, usually almost all of their fish, except maybe some of the clowns, have ich. But I still always look, when I'm there for dog food. This one looks good, maybe he's a tough guy?
When I was there last, there was a Harlequin Tusk taking his last breath, and a Foxface Lo stuck to the drain slits, all black. I opened up the sliding door and nudged the fox off of the drains, and he just floated in the water column. I imagine he was dead within the hour. :-(

As much as I know you want this fish don't do it..I know it's painful but petco takes terrible care of all of their fish, I know you want it but it's not worth it....sorry mate, their fish are almost always bad and I got a bi-color angel from there a few months ago healthy as could be right? WRONG he died a week after because of lip inflammation...

Saltwater reef said:
As much as I know you want this fish don't do it..I know it's painful but petco takes terrible care of all of their fish, I know you want it but it's not worth it....sorry mate, their fish are almost always bad and I got a bi-color angel from there a few months ago healthy as could be right? WRONG he died a week after because of lip inflammation...

All petcos arent bad. Many of them run their stores differently and some are actually really nice. JMHO

Yeah, I hear you... I have stayed away from their fish for years, after a few bad apples, but I still go directly to the salt section when I'm at the store. I can't help it!! I haven't bought anything LIVE from there in ages, but I always have to look and consider it, and decide not too. It's pretty funny really! :).
There should be little stickers on everyone's first tanks stating...Warning, this hobby will be completely addicting!! :)
I think your right, and I will just try to forget about the Angel...

Ever tried online? I have ordered a bunch of stiff from some sites including my humu humu trigger purple tang and a few blue hippo tangs?

No, not for livestock. I've got a few good LFS around here, the Rock Beauty just caught my eye last time I was at Petco.
Thanks for the input salt, happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom