Rock flower anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They like to be under the edge of something, so if you can set it up where there is a bit of a ledge next to the sand they like that. (posted previously where I said it looks like the rock) The one up in the middle of the rock has a indented hole it just scooted right in and as a section where it is about flat to the rock when it opens.

I really like how responsive they are to the light.

My yellow one is on the move today! I couldn't find it when I woke up this morning. It's on the backside of a rock now but still moving. I'm kind of glad it's moving, I was getting worried it wasn't getting enough light and it was awkward to reach for feeding. Hope it picks a good spot where I'll be able to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Went to VIP reef to drool over some RFAs and saw a warning message about their use of salifert flat worm exit wiping out most of their RFA and ricordea floridia stock. Just posting to keep in mind for future reference in case this product is every needed/recommended and you have RFA or ricordea.

http://www.vipreef.com/rock-anemones/

Interesting, if they possibly used too much or miscalculated the dose.

That is very good information to keep in mind, I was considering some specs in my tank if they were the worms or not and was just reading about using the product in the tank and it has Rics and the RFA. :eek:

Thanks so much for the heads up.:thanks:

rock nem on oyster it had a hard life being switched from tank to tank as they grew
the rock nem and oyster are the 2 oldest inverts I have almost 4 years
img_3222548_0_95aad83db202e78360ffbc1e87f58d0e.jpg

rock nem on oyster it had a hard life being switched from tank to tank as they grew
the rock nem and oyster are the 2 oldest inverts I have almost 4 years
img_3222607_0_95aad83db202e78360ffbc1e87f58d0e.jpg

That's cool and kind of crazy, did it come in as a hitch hiker?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is darned special Seaweed!

Finally made it to the lfs which has the anemones. Smaller lighter green, bigger nice larger green not super dark though, a tan, and a tan with pink lines like the rays coming from the center and a pink mouth. $29.99 each - I have a pic.

60074-albums13960-picture68890.jpg

Thought about asking if he would go 2 for $50, then thought I might be able to get prettier ones or the same for 10 each so I left them all there but might go for the bigger green one and tan pink in the pic right of the bottom of the leather. Other lfs who has been trying to get them in for me said possible this week, she has been adding them each week, and will continue to until they come in.

Also Petco employee said that the company recently acquired live aquaria /website and company, and maybe they will have more stock to offer soon.

I like the two you are thinking about getting but $30 does seem on the higher end for tan and green ones, I think my LFS sells those for $20 usually. That green one is really big though. Hopefully your other store will get some in so you have more options.

All my babies crawled out of my "nursery" container. It's nice to have the dish out of the display, but now I can't target feed. I have found some on rocks and in sand bed which could be these same ones from the nursery. Last count was 6 babies but only three I can reach to target feed. The ones I can't reach look a lot smaller and still very white so I'm not sure if those will make it, they are also positioned out of the light.

I saw one of these pop up on divers den a couple of days ago. Cool nem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a green one that positioned himself right on top of a rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431975402670.jpg
    1431975402670.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 180
That's a mini-maxi, not a rock flower. But it's still nice nem! :)

Agree, beautiful but I think maxi mini too.

You both are right. That's what happens when you have ADD, you can't pay attention to details. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I've finally done it! I've been working on this for a couple months and today it's finally happened. I've been making modifications to my pod breeding tank to support RFAs and try to breed them. I partitioned off the chaeto, heater and filter in the back 1/3 of the tank. In the front 2/3s I changed sand out to black (so I can see babies easier) and installed a PAR 38 bulb. Last weekend I added the nem from my display and today I got her 3 more buddies. Can't wait to see if they spawn. Side note, only one baby survived in my display and I really feel like it's largely due to being unable to reach and feed the babies regularly like I have this one. I'm hoping this tank will not have that issue since there are no caves or large rock structures to work around.

Well, I've finally done it! I've been working on this for a couple months and today it's finally happened. I've been making modifications to my pod breeding tank to support RFAs and try to breed them. I partitioned off the chaeto, heater and filter in the back 1/3 of the tank. In the front 2/3s I changed sand out to black (so I can see babies easier) and installed a PAR 38 bulb. Last weekend I added the nem from my display and today I got her 3 more buddies. Can't wait to see if they spawn. Side note, only one baby survived in my display and I really feel like it's largely due to being unable to reach and feed the babies regularly like I have this one. I'm hoping this tank will not have that issue since there are no caves or large rock structures to work around.

I think the reason I lost my beautiful frilly one was because it went under the rock work so far. I am pretty crushed about that still.

I still have my brownish one. I feed him once a week with the Oyster feast. But I think I will try something else this next purchase. Many of the chunks were pretty big and I am not sure the fish and critters got too much at a time. The big pieces just plunk out so you aren't too sure how much you are gonna get - though in thinking, I guess I could dose it into a cup first and if I get too much put some back...just don't really like the chance of contaminating it, then the bottle.

Yours are looking great. Excited to see if you can get the babies to really take off this way. They are still one of my very favorites!

Do you or anyone else think I should target feed him more frequently? He gets anything that falls in from feeding the fish and other inhabitants as well.

The dry foods are varied: meaty, omnivore, algae based.

Frozen are Mysis, bbs, bs, Tubifex (occasionally a little bit, for the Clowns) one other I can't recall atm.

Everyone, what are you feeding to yours and how often?

I was feeding a piece of frozen table shrimp or scallop about the size of her mouth (thawed for a while) about 2 times a week. About a month ago I bought a frozen mix and now feed her a squirt of it about every other day, she probably gets a mysis or two and then some cyclopeez and fish eggs. I've heard that LPS pellets every other day are good for them but I haven't gotten any yet, I may order some soon because I think it eliminates a little but of extra food waste in the tank.

There isn't any need to feed like that. The lights should be all it needs. If it catches something at random, consider it a treat.

I've read differently for RFAs, especially if you want them to grow fast and spawn. Although I want to stress not to over feed because I've heard that can't kill them by food rotting in their stomachs. Here's a good read if you are interested in RFAs.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2012/08/27/ugly-duckling-anemones-in-a-new-light/

If you want to grow anything faster you should feed it...but this is something that most of us hobbyists get in trouble! We drown our tanks with liquid foods for coral or daily feedings for larger LPS or anemone and our systems can't handle it or our husbandry habits can't keep up. This includes even myself as I have made some bone headed moves that only increased the algae issue I've been battling.

Back
Top Bottom