Rock for reef system in 240 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bearpoole57

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am wondering where I can get rock for my new 240 gal aquarium, all glass. I want to have a fish with perhaps live rock, but I want to build the reef system of rocks and corals and anenomes etc synthetically and dry prior to putting the water. questions:

Can I use plastic crates to support the rock to build them up quicker to a higher level in the tank?

Can I cut out the sides of the crates to make cave like areas under the mounted rock which will be glued (secured to the crates)?

What type of rock can I use?

I have heard the lava rock at most pet shops is a no no, is this true because of the phosphates and silica?

Can I use aquarium silicone sealer to attach the rocks to the crates?

That is enough of the basics. I have had seven salt tanks in the past but that was 10-12 years ago with undergravel filtration and canister filters. Lots of things have changed. For the better of course.

Thanks for the help with this dilema

Bear

Welcome to the forum :)

bearpoole57 said:
Can I use plastic crates to support the rock to build them up quicker to a higher level in the tank?
You could but being a reef tank, the rock in the tank should be one of your primary filtration sources. If you use up the space with "fillers" it could make managing water quality a challenge. You might also wish to look into making your own aragocrete rock or purchasing dry base rock as an additional option. Make sure if you still use an artificial base, it is chemically inert.

Can I cut out the sides of the crates to make cave like areas under the mounted rock which will be glued (secured to the crates)?
Yes

What type of rock can I use?
Stick with aragonite/CaCO3 based rocks.

I have heard the lava rock at most pet shops is a no no, is this true because of the phosphates and silica?
You should avoid this where possible. Other than what you've mentioned there is also the possibility of metal contamination.

Can I use aquarium silicone sealer to attach the rocks to the crates?
That will probabley give you the best result. It will stick to plastics just fine but whatever rock you use should be very porous to adhere well. Be careful of weight as well and be sure the rocks added are properly supported from the bottom up so the silicone is not doing all the work.

Cheers
Steve

Rock for the 240 gal

Thanks Steve,

I will look into the making of the caves and arches, and also the Hawaiian Rock. Lots of things to consider....

No hurry since this tank will be around for a long time and I have real good luck with Fish Only before, perhaps some live rock with this one.

Thanks,
Bear

Too bad you aren't closer to me, I've got some lr that I'm looking to unload pretty cheap. It's not a lot, but it would be useful for seeding some base rock.

It's not a lot, but I don't have anywhere to put it. I need to get rid of it before next week Tuesday. You're welcome to come and check it out. PM me if you're interested.

lr

Thanks for the offer, not yet ready to do that.... looks like you have an interested party.... good luck...

Bear

Back
Top Bottom