Rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College fishman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm in Florida and every big pile of rocks looks like base rock to me. Could I bring some back and use it? It's no pukani rock or anything but it looks decent. Ill take pics tomorrow

The problem is there can be a lot of pollutants near the shore. Some places its against the law too. I wouldn't chance it

Sorry ment to say I'm on the west coast and in Lehigh acres FL. About 15 mins from the coast.

From my understanding live rock is illegal to take. Rocks and shells get taken all the time on the east coast.

It's rock that was dug from the ground to put houses in. It'll make sense when I take pictures. This rock hasn't touched water in years. It's basically base rock

I picked the most porous and nicest looking I could find. Think it'll do? Again, this was picked off the ground dry, about 35 miles from the coast.

image-4123360460.jpg

Maybe you could use a bleach solution to clean it up? Soak it for a day and rinse really well afterward.

I just power washed it. It was black before from aging in the sun. Really cleaned up well!

I plan on bleaching it and then letting it cure for a few weeks.

Nice I would just soak it in water for a couple days and rinse it off good. That what I did with the same type. Good deal!!!

My friend said he knows of a place near me where you can find the same sort of stuff. It is all he used in his 120 gallon. It works great and he saved a ton of $.

Awesome! Yea it is everywhere. Every time I come down ill jut start harvesting rock and selling it to my lfs. Maybe get trades or something. Thanks dudes!

If you soak it in bleach, then rinse well and soak again in solution with Prime for 24 hours to pull the bleach out of the rock. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom