RODI unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank for about 6 months now and am tired of buying water from my LFS. I was looking into RODI units but know nothing about them and whats good. My tank is pretty small so I only need a couple gallons a week for water changes and top off. All I really know is that I want RODI not just RO and i want it to be portable and able to detach on and off the sink. I was looking into something along the lines of this:
Reef Water Reverse Osmosis RO DI Filter Aquarium 75GPD - eBay (item 110417754405 end time Nov-22-09 13:34:45 PST)

I got tired of it too. That`s what made me get one. I`m free at last. LOL. As far as that one you linked I say go for it. Looks good to me. I use the Maxxima.

I've thought of getting one as well. It would be much more convenient (especially if you have something happen to your tank after the LFS closes). The deterrents for me have been having to do the water testing every so often and replacing the filters. How often are you suppose to check the water purity and change the filters? Sometimes, replacing the filters can cost more than it would have if you would have kept buying the water from a LFS. I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I'm i the same position as skae310.

well Keith A, from what I've heard, you save enough money from using the rodi water compared to the lfs water, thaat when it comes to changing the filters and stuff, you should have saved enough to change them without losing money.

get a tds meter and check it occasionally. I wouldn't change it till I couldn't get the tds below 10 or so. Then I'd back flush first and make sure. tds meter will run ya about $20.

I have a 100gpd unit, haven't changed a filter or DI cart in 2 years though my water is pretty good.

Are some units better than others in terms of lasting longer before filters need replacing? Or is that just determined by your original tap water quality?

pretty much determined by your tap water quality. you should b able to figure out the quality of your city's water if you go to your cities municipal site.

I purchased the typhoon III which gives 150 gallons per day, from Air Water Ice. It cost about $275 or so. It comes with a TDS meter. I love it.
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom