Room for one more??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Has Phil got room for one more?

• No...he's over his limit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes...loads of space left

• He's about stocked now (including the Flame Hawk)

• Total voters

philthefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay all....looking for some advice/suggestions

I have a 55 gall FOWLR which currently houses; 1 Green Chromis, 1 Double Saddle Butterfly, and 1 Tomato clown.

I definitely want a Flame Hawkfish for the tank. Would this then be fully stocked, or could I squeeze one more in?

Any suggestions of a suitable tankmate for that lot?

A Flame Hawkfish would be fine, just don't get any gobies and blennies, as they all fight (I found out the hard way)

I can not really answer the poll without knowing what current water parameters are. With what you have now I would find it hard to beleive that you are "over-stocked", but that is such a subjective term. Overstocking simply means that the biological/mechanical/chemical filtration of the tank can not keep up with the bio-load in said tank. If you are constantly battling water parameters then chances are you are over-stocked. Do not confuse this with picking the appropriate fish for the appropriate tank...apples and oranges. If water parameters are in check go ahead and get your hawk fish. Give it some time. If parameters remain okay then re-evaluate a final tankmate.

I agree with lando on this. You have to know and watch you water perameters before you add fish and after you add them to see if your tank can take the load. Seaham358: I think geckofrog meant the hawkfish will fight with the blennies and gobies. they'll try to swoop at it and just stress the gobies and blennies out really bad. I was going to get one until i found that out. HTH

Water parameters are fine amm - 0 Trite - 0 Trate - 0.

50lb LR, Eheim 2215 external, 2x MJ 1200's, CPR Bakpak 2R skimmer

seaham358 said:
geckofrog said:
A Flame Hawkfish would be fine, just don't get any gobies and blennies, as they all fight (I found out the hard way)

Who fights?? and with whom

Well those are all bottom dwelling guys, and they tend to bump into each other, I had a gobie and a Flame Hawkfish and they fought to the extent that fins were almost all gone, eventually had to give it to a friend of mine :(

Stock is determined by a ton of factors but tank size is the most limiting. The “general rule” is 1” of fish per 5 gal but following that rule explicitly seems quite limiting to most aquarist. I feel new aquarist should stick to that rule closely and should only slightly exceed it once enough experience is gained.

Of course the other determining factors for stocking are the quality of filtration, pwc schedule, and the type of fish you get.

If you have a skimmer, 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal, and are performing 10+% pwc each week those things allow you to slightly exceed the “rule”.

By buying thinner longer fish like clowns, damsels, wrasse, gobies, ect… and not a fatter or messy eater also helps extend that rule slightly ie: not a puffer, trigger, lion, ect…

The use of a sump to extend total water volume also helps with keeping your nh3/no2/no3 in check.

Total length/height of the tank also has to be considered ie: a 55 gal tank gives you roughly 11”-14” of adult fish length but that doesn’t mean a Dog Face Puffer or Sailfin Tang which reach about that size should be attempted.

Main thing to take into consideration is that SW doesn’t exchange oxygen as well as FW does and greatly overstocking a tank will lead to suffocation if power is out longer then 4 hours. A generator or battery back up is highly recommended if slightly overstocking since all the filtration in the world is completely useless without power.

As previously stated by others as long as your water stays good after the addittion you can probably look at a couple more compatible fish. It would appear that your filtration is adequate. Ever consider adding 2 more chromis? They make a neat addition are fairly docile and tend to school.

Good luck,

Ever consider adding 2 more chromis? They make a neat addition are fairly docile and tend to school.

Don't get me started on Chromis!!! I kicked off with 3 in the tank, the biggest bullied the other two to death within a week or so. I then introduced another 2 (of similar size to bully boy) and he did the same to them over a 4 week period.....no more chromis for me!

OK,OK..it was just a thought. :) If you do like the Chromis you could think about returning the one(bully) and starting with three new ones.

Back
Top Bottom