Roots coming from coral???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are these "root" looking things coming off my corals base? Something to be concerned about? My tank had been moving along so if it's an issue I'll remove it. There white in color and look like roots. Pics aren't that great.

image-2645177129.jpg

image-711475620.jpg

LPS most do sting and use chemical warfare for real estate. I have had an acan attack leather and nearly kill, I thought they were far enough apart. The leather recovered but it took about 4 months before it looked decent again.

Guess I'll move it then. It just happening the past few days. They don't move, only with flow they do. They honestly look like roots.

I'll move it anyway just to be safe.

I have something similar in my tank. When I tried to Google what I thought they looked like, the info I received said it was a type of sponge feeder tentacles. I can't tell from your pic, but it looks similar to mine. Good luck.

sanderson417 said:
I have something similar in my tank. When I tried to Google what I thought they looked like, the info I received said it was a type of sponge feeder tentacles. I can't tell from your pic, but it looks similar to mine. Good luck.

Thank you

Convict2161 said:
Thank you

I wouldn think feeder tenticles would come from the base it looks to me like a type of worm from what i can see i have some similar in my tank but hard to tell in the pic but my coral with feeder tenticles always come from the coral tissue but never know

Wow a lot of guesses. I'll pull the coral out and take some shots and inspect. There moving. There white and there sprouting from the base of the coral.

well I'm just putting in my $0.02 :D I'm only a year experienced so it was more of a guess than an ID.

lol sorry just trying to be helpful!

scottayy said:
well I'm just putting in my $0.02 :D I'm only a year experienced so it was more of a guess than an ID.

lol sorry just trying to be helpful!

Nah no reason to be sorry. Can't wait to see who was right. And I wanna know what this is lol. Better pics tomorrow :)

Convict2161 said:
What are these "root" looking things coming off my corals base? Something to be concerned about? My tank had been moving along so if it's an issue I'll remove it. There white in color and look like roots. Pics aren't that great.

No idea what it could be but your corals are sure pretty!

I would say sponge but it could be a macro algae. Is it white? Pull a piece out unless it's attached to coral. Then don't. But a better pic would help.

scottayy said:
looks like flatworms to me

I don't think so flatworms start a lot smaller I've had them take over my tank never that long before but could be right cuz if they did that in my tank I'm sure they would have been bitten

Back
Top Bottom