Rose BTA's bubble tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any reason that BTAs will bubble or not bubble? I've looked online for hours and seen that it's really just what the anemone feels like doing. What do you guys think?

I think it's just something they do. It's not an indication of bad health though. I have 2 bubble tips. One has the bubble tips all the time and the other one goes between bubble and non bubbled, even half can be bubbled and the other half won't be :)

Okay. Mine is kind of in between and I wanted to help it bubble if I could. It's funny cus my clowns go over and look at it like 2 inches away and then leave lol.

Ah ok. So he's still going to be acclimating himself to your tank, trying to find the right spot etc. Once he's settled he will probably bubble his tips more. The clowns usually take a few days before they host with the anemone. I'd give him at least a week to get situated :)

According to LA:

"The Bubble Tip Anemone is usually found in coral rubble, or in solid reefs. Its pedal disc is usually attached deep within dead coral. It stretches its tentacles to become sweeper tentacles when hungry. That is, the tentacles become elongated to capture a meal, then the tentacles shorten and the bubble tips return.

Handle this invertebrate, and all Anemones, with care. They can sting other Anemones, as well as Corals.

In order for the Rose Bubble Tip Anemone to keep its bright coloration and bulb tips, it needs strong illumination supplied by metal halides, or intense florescent lighting of at least 6 watts per gallon. They require an aquarium of at least 30 gallons, as they can grow up to 12" across in the aquarium. These anemones will typically remain compact and will gain bulb tips under intense lighting. If the lighting is insufficient, they will expand their bodies to great lengths to make the most of the available light. It should be kept with a Clownfish for best results. At times, the tentacles may appear stringy; this may be due to insufficient light or the need for food.

Its diet should include chopped fish, shrimp, or worms if a clownfish is not present."

Since you just got yours, it may be acclimating, however, it sounds as though if it doesn't bubble up for you, it's either hungry, or more likely, it doesn't have sufficient lighting.

I fed him some mysis today and he took it. But at the lfs he was under t5 too. So I dont know. I would do mh if I could but they get too hot for my room.

I certainly hope it works for you. Remember, your LFS typically only has to keep it alive for a week until it sells... If you had a 6-bulb T5 I'd thing you'd be fine as well.

Thanks! He's lookin good today! He moved from the very bottom up to the top. It's a good spot, loving the flow

Attachments

• image-2667836568.jpg
    image-2667836568.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom