rose bubble tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got this rose bubble tip anemone about a week ago. yesterday i got my coralife 24 inch 65x2 watt lights (from captive reefs, amazing shipping speed). well today my mom said that about at 11 it was looking horrible, all the tintecles were tiny and grey. so she turned off the light. she said that it looked better in about 2 hours. and then she just turned on the blue 10,000k lights. i was just wondering, what do you think is wrong with it? to much light? because he was doing awesome with my old 15 watt light that came with my tank.

no defintly not to much lights in fact anenomes need intense light, most do not fair well without them. Anenomes, poop like all animals when they do they will often retract their tentcles and expell water, this causes them to look shrivled, but they should returnt to normal within a few hours. Otherwise i would think that the only other possibilty is poor water, or it being picked on by another fish

its a 20h. the only fish that gets near it is my tomato clown. and he is kinda rough with it. like he will swim down when he is already in it. i dont know if thats bad though

that is normal clown behavior, in fact i have ot flase percs that do the same to a BTA, it may be a lot for the anenome if the clown is much bigger than the anenome. How big are they

The fact that it is wondering around means that it is not happy with something. How much flow do you have? What are your current water parameters?

umm i have a penguin 330. and a powerhead that i dont have one because it washes the anemone around. so i dont have it on. i will turn that back on when he gets a grip on something. i dont know what my water is at. i will take some to work tomarrow and get it tested.

when you turn that PH back on he's going to move until he finds a spot he likes.... my PH died.... RBT moved... i got another one he moved back... and they don't have good sense of direction either, he went right back to the same spot but it took him 2 days to find it...

as far as that deflating thing goes, he should do it every day. don't turn the light on when he does it it's not going to make him inflate again.

do you mean dont turn the light off when he does it. or turn it off the next time he does it?

if he does it while the lights are on then leave them on. if he does it while the lights or off leave them off. if he does it right before your lights come on just let them come on. How much light he's getting doesn't have anything to do with it. He's just using your clean aquarium water as a toilet.

Here's a basic explanation:
Deflating roses and why do they do it?

Roses deflate to get rid of waste, that is to say, poop and expel water. They will expel at least every 2 days,sometimes daily. It is a process that is done by shrinking up so much that you think they are dying but are not. They need to expel there waste and replace their body and tentacles with fresh water regularly.
They will stay this way for sometimes several hours, but will fill back up with water and be back to their glorious selves in no time.

it came from this page, it's a pretty good reference for roses.
http://home.att.net/~karenssaltwater/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

how do you acclimate something to the new lights? well its been 1 more day and he seems to be doing fine. this morning i think he pooped again because he was small and not looking to good and i had alot of stuff floating in the tank. my tomato clown will dig under him and clean his butt i guess you call it. very strange fish since he wont even touch what i have been trying to feed him

Depending on what lights he was under and what you have, sometimes you need to acclimate corals, inverts, and fish to lighting. If the light is stronger you need to not go full lights when first introduced into the tank. Then you can turn on all the lights for short periods at a time until they are on full the full amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom