Rose Bubble tip...Should I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have done a lot research on anemones and have concluded that they are not best suited for home aquariums. however, my LFS has four Rose Bulb-tip anenomes right now for $60 each and they look great. Here is my dilema...i do not feel good about supporting the market on a product i do not think should be for sale, I believe these animals should be left in the wild where they live well over a hundred years. However, my tank reef has been running for almost a year and a half, my water parameters are wonderful, i have educated myself on this animal. There is a small part of me that wants to "rescue" one and take care of it before someone without the proper knowledge for aquarium gets it. Since it is already harvested i might as well be the one to take care of it. Does this make sense? What does everyone think? P.S.- Hey WarOaks...they are at A Wet Pet in Apple Vally if you are interested. Thanks everyone...Lando

Since it is already harvested i might as well be the one to take care of it.

Well see everyone may think this, either way you are promoting a sale. Either way if you don't buy it someone will. Unless you can stop every last person from buying it I wouldn't let it bother you. Anyways I hope you have enough light as well.

I may end up getting one tomorrow, I have to think on it tonight. Yes, i have plenty of light...6 watts/gal. Thanks Six.

ya get one and what are you saying a good portion of fish,inverts and corals are wild

ya get one and what are you saying a good portion of fish,inverts and corals are wild
I think the point Lando was making was the fact that these animals are nearly immortal in the wild. Add to that the dismal survival rate in home aquariums (somewhere around 3 months average) and you begin to see the picture. I am against harvesting any "difficult" species just to increase a store's variety or because they sell. It would seem there is a market for such animals though. You buy one; it dies. Go get another (it's so pretty); it dies. The LFS is selling them like hot cakes.
Educating yourself, buying hardy species, resisting hard to keep species, propogating your corals, buying tank raised, these are things that we as responsible hobbyists can do to promote our passion.
Good for you Lando for thinking this through. If you are concerned about increasing the demand for these animals - if only a little bit - consider tank raised bubble tips. They are available from time to time. Get one then.

thanks everyone, got some more thinking to do. Anemoneman...you summed it up nicely, thanks! Lando

Just wanted to add onto what Anemoneman stated. Check your local reef club, browse the net, etc. because green and rose bubble tip anemones are cloning quite often in captivity. They are quite hardy and have less guilt that pulling one out of the ocean. Plus, if yours clone you can pass one on to another responsible reefer.

I'm surprised that a wet pet has them, everytime I go there, they have crappy corals in those 2 tanks that they have. Good lock with it, if you get one.

The fact that you have concerns about owning certain species shows that you are a caring Marine hobbiest. I say that if do have serious concerns, don't get it. A good pet owner wouldn't purchase a pet they didnt feel 100% comfortable with taken care of. If the survival rate for a particular fish or aneneome is low, wait till you find a captive raised one.

thanks everyone for your comments. After much consideration I think I will go pick one up today. It is a great price and I figure I can offer it a great environment to live in. probably better then the store's tank or someone who buys it without the proper set up and knowledge. I will let everyone know how it goes and pot a pick or two later. Thanks again...Lando

Sounds good to me! if you have a great, stable, tank with the ideal water conditions then that bubble tip is probibly much better off with you.

It would most likely be bought by someone who wants to get their 4 year old a new present anyway. It would be stuck in a 10 gallon tank with a couple of percs, with some water and table salt thrown in. "Daddy, why is nemo sleeping at the top all the time?"

I have Rose and it seems to be doing fine after 2 months, he doesn't move around and seems to have settled in a comfortable place. I have 6.4 watts per gallon, the tank raised Ocellaris's don't go near it but that is to be expected.

rose.jpg

correct me if im istaken, but i have heard that recently they have been getting a lot of rose bulbs from a place in China, and i thought i heard they were captive bred? I live in Southern California and ive seen these guys go from a couple stores only having a couple for $120 to every store having tanks full selling for as low as $25. does anyone know the facts on this?

Back
Top Bottom