Running a HOB filter in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of designing a sump for a 75 gallon sw aquarium. I have a Marineland Emperor 280, that I replaced with a canister filter on my 29 gallon fw, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to integrate it into my sump for a bit of extra filtration or if doing so would just be a waste of electricity.

If so, what is the best way to clean it for its new purpose and should I replace the bio-wheel? It's been dry for three or so years now. Thanks for reading.

I wouldn't. I'd just run carbon and a filter sock in your sump. That isn't much added filtration IMO and it can build up nitrates. Just extra work

I run a HOB filter on my refugium just for the capabilities of running phosphate removing media and purigen on the tank. It's not a terrible idea and its WAY cheaper than a reactor. It's not worth it to run just for extra filtration though as your live rock should be all that you need.

So you're saying that a HOB filter with carbon and gfo inserts could effectively replace the need for a reactor? Do you think it would provide enough turbulence to keep the gfo from solidifying?

So you're saying that a HOB filter with carbon and gfo inserts could effectively replace the need for a reactor? Do you think it would provide enough turbulence to keep the gfo from solidifying?

I can't comment on gfo since I've never used it but I use seachem seagel with a lot of success. It's a blend of activated carbon and phosguard.

Back
Top Bottom