Running carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to start running high-grade carbon when I get my corals. The carbon is in pellets...

I have an external Eheim canister filter, which has 2 media baskets with balls in them.

The top basket has a small filter bag with rowaphos in the middle of it, surrounded by the balls.

And, I'm intending doing the same with the carbon, but in the bottom basket - putting the carbon in a small filter bag and placing it in the middle of the balls.

Will this be ok?

I'm only going to be running it for 4 days a month :)

Do you not think filter wool is critical then?

On a side-note, how do I know when my filter needs cleaning? Just a lot of detritus build up inside it?

Is filter wool before the carbon critical? I've been told by my LFS that it is, but others haven't mentioned the wool...

Its good for catching very small particles. I don't know how critical it is...I do not run a filter on my reef tank.

Someone said that if I run carbon I should use the wool too and rinse the wool every week.

If I don't have to, wouldn't mind skipping it :p

if i were you i would use the wool, otherwise the large particles will gunk up the carbon and keep it from doing its job optimally. and yes i would rinse it once a week.

So, where do I put the wool, and how big should it be (and, is rinsing in tapwater ok?)??

As above, I have an external Eheim canister filter, which has 2 media baskets with balls in them.

The top basket has a small filter bag with rowaphos in the middle of it, surrounded by the balls.

And, I'm intending doing the same with the carbon, but in the bottom basket - putting the carbon in a small filter bag and placing it in the middle of the balls.

The carbon is in pellets btw, if that alters anything.

If the pellets don't fall through the basket then I don't see why you'll need it. The wool will help clean the water of particles so it won't hurt either.....
If your going to change the carbon every 4 days IMO is not needed... Run that carbon several weeks and you will be fine. If you leave it in for months then it can leach back into the system. If its a high grade carbon I would run it longer saving $$$. I used to use wool in my fluval on my FW and it would collect all kinds of crap over a months time. Just don't leave it in too long because it will plug and slow the water flow down.

The carbon (high grade) will be in a filter bag so it can't fall through the basket...

Cleaning the wool each week is just an extra job that doesn't seem to be needed!

I'm running the carbon for 4 days each month then taking it out, and putting new in the next month for 4 days, etc.

Also, if I get any new arrivals that don't fall within the 4 days, I'll run it for another 4 days while they settle in :p

So, no wool :p

Hmmmmmmm, I use it as I was told it "polishes" the water, basically trapping small particles etc, you have to watch it though as it can be a nitrate factory if left too long, but i check all param's once a week & my nitrates never go above 2 :)

Cheers Shelton.

If the carbon is in the bag u dont need wool...... I would run it longer and get your moneys worth out of each bag of carbon IMO 4 days is nothing....... JMO2....

How about a week? :p

Just wanna make sure it doesn't leech back in etc.

How long would you run it for, and how often would you change it? :)

I have a magnum 350 canister with a wool-like filter sleeve. It works really well. I rinse my carbon once a week and replace it about once a month.

the woool is a good thing. just be sure to rinse often to avoid build-up.

Back
Top Bottom