sad stuff here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is indeed sad, I watched the other day a documentary about the rise of coral sales in the US that are not compliant with the rules to protect reefs...many new "shops" in the middle of streets in CA, where people are selling frags from corals caught in the wild...We must as hobbyists neglect the purchasing of illegally caught corals and report when their sale is unlawful

I want to buy a bunch of corals and go plant them now. Who's with me?

fish are friends not food

The earth and the ocean are amazing things. To think that human caused global warming caused this is just ridiculous. to think that the human race can cause a drastic change to the earth is silly. people don't realize that the primary greenhouse gas is water vapor...not CO2. for them to hint that global warming caused the "small" spot of increased water temp in the pacific is absurd.

I agree that we should reef responsibly. I don't buy wild caught corals (most of the most beautiful corals are already maricultured or aquacultured).

My LFS sells 5+ generation corals and they grow them in a green house

The earth and the ocean are amazing things. To think that human caused global warming caused this is just ridiculous. to think that the human race can cause a drastic change to the earth is silly. people don't realize that the primary greenhouse gas is water vapor...not CO2. for them to hint that global warming caused the "small" spot of increased water temp in the pacific is absurd.

I agree that we should reef responsibly. I don't buy wild caught corals (most of the most beautiful corals are already maricultured or aquacultured).

The primary greenhouse gas isn't water vapor. Water vapor is generally constant so it can be disregarded in most scenarios. Additionally studies done on the contrails of jets have indicated that even slight increases of atmospheric water vapor in the form of even tiny clouds can reduce temperatures in a located region. The primary issue is methane gas and carbon dioxide. Both are important factors in anthropogenic global warming.

I don't think it's feasible to blame that local spike in temperature on global warming though. It seems to me (I am no climatologist though) like a freak spike in temperature. But it's also incorrect to blatantly deny the human impact on the global environment.

The effect of one person is insubstantial. The collective effects of over 6 billion people is incomprehensible.

many new "shops" in the middle of streets in CA, where people are selling frags from corals caught in the wild
most, if not all LFS's and wholesale companies import and sell wild collected corals. they would never make a living otherwise. most of them ride on the "aquaculture" bandwagon, but in reality, order direct from the wholesalers as is the norm.
do you think someone is growing those large LPS and SPS colonies? how long do you think that would take?
actually, the only company i know of that allegedly doesn't sell wild pieces is ORA. they only sell little tiny frags for high prices. never giant colonies.

I wonder how much impact all the newly founded radiation will have on the reef as well. I believe the hobby is coming to a halt in the coming years. I hope I'm incorrect

I read on yahoo that they are thinking about making it illegal to buy fish you can't breed in captivity

That's retarded. When global impact is the reason reefs are dieing. All that's gonna do is put more people on the street.

i honestly believe we should not take another fish or coral out of the oceans. i think we should be able to keep the hobby going with what is in stores and in tanks right now. i think it would drive the prices up significantly, and make the hobby available to only rich folks, and people who do their research BEFORE a purchase. even though it seems to be a small part of the problem, i see these stock lists sent to my email every few days, and they definitely take a massive amount of fish and inverts from the oceans CONSTANTLY. it's got to come to an end soon.
speaking of impact, here is a piece of an actual email i just got tonight:

Dear Customer,

Australia will be cancelled this week due to shortage of corals. So the shipment has been postponed to 4/10/11 or until the supplier can have more corals.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

There's so many videos like this.. It's really sad. My friend had an experience similar to this. She went scuba-diving somewhere, came back a few years later and it was pretty much gone. It inspired her to do a 4 year research project on coral bleaching and electromagnetic fields. It was very, very neat.

mr_X said:
i honestly believe we should not take another fish or coral out of the oceans. i think we should be able to keep the hobby going with what is in stores and in tanks right now. i think it would drive the prices up significantly, and make the hobby available to only rich folks, and people who do their research BEFORE a purchase. even though it seems to be a small part of the problem, i see these stock lists sent to my email every few days, and they definitely take a massive amount of fish and inverts from the oceans CONSTANTLY. it's got to come to an end soon.
speaking of impact, here is a piece of an actual email i just got tonight:

Dear Customer,

Australia will be cancelled this week due to shortage of corals. So the shipment has been postponed to 4/10/11 or until the supplier can have more corals.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

I totally agree with the coral part. Not so much the fish and invert part. Coral is required to house fish and inverts. It is to my belief that as long as the reef is intact, there has never been a problem with the population of fish and inverts

I am an engineer with background in thermodynamics. Look into the ice core studies and other corresponding research before you discount man's role in climate change. I know Fox News doesn't agree with most scientific studies, but you might want to study it for yourself. As a diver for over 40 years and a avid coral grower in my home system, I can tell you the reefs are getting hosed. And it is our pollution that is the cause. Oil, CO2, phosphate and nitrate run offs, water temperature climbs and just plain sewage are killing the reef. No accident. But coral is very good at recovering, slowly, if we just get our act together as humans.

Gregcoyote said:
I am an engineer with background in thermodynamics. Look into the ice core studies and other corresponding research before you discount man's role in climate change. I know Fox News doesn't agree with most scientific studies, but you might want to study it for yourself. As a diver for over 40 years and a avid coral grower in my home system, I can tell you the reefs are getting hosed. And it is our pollution that is the cause. Oil, CO2, phosphate and nitrate run offs, water temperature climbs and just plain sewage are killing the reef. No accident. But coral is very good at recovering, slowly, if we just get our act together as humans.

I agree with everything you said well put I've never seen a whole news channel discount and laugh at scientific facts

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom