Sad to see

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, cost won’t be a factor. I plan on starting off small.

All I can say is :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was just at a shop yesterday to get info on lighting for my 15 gal tank should I go back to keeping corals. I walked out thinking " My bettas will do nicely in that 15." ;)
There is one dynamic that never changes: Smaller marine tanks are quicker to have problems than large marine tanks. :whistle:

I have several unused tanks here. One 40 G, a 29, a 30, a 20 and many tens .

What size would you recommend if I were to try SW? I am not strictly limited to what’s available around the house.

This old guy who owns the LFS said SW is not much more difficult than FW with several SW species. He has a small SW section. I think he was talking fish, not coral or whatever else the reefers do.

I just called the woman who owns a cool SW LFS in town. She has a lovely display next to the cash register with a clown fish that’s jam packed with the coral. It’s only 5 gallons. She said she has a similar 10 G, not a 5 available. And it’s also $100. I asked what was so special about these pricey little tanks & she said nothing. LOL. She said I could just as well use any tank I have sitting around. She said the coral needs a special light & a clean up crew is essential. She was not specific re ongoing maintaining costs. She said a small tank setup, as in her 10 G would run me close to $400, including a fish & coral.

Don’t know of I’ll go this route but it’s something to ponder. I do see used SW setups in the local Facebook groups. The guy who sold me a nice 44 G corner tank was extremely anxious to sell me his SW equipment. I had no interest then. He was more than willing to set everything up for me.

I have several unused tanks here. One 40 G, a 29, a 30, a 20 and many tens .

What size would you recommend if I were to try SW? I am not strictly limited to what’s available around the house.

This old guy who owns the LFS said SW is not much more difficult than FW with several SW species. He has a small SW section. I think he was talking fish, not coral or whatever else the reefers do.

I just called the woman who owns a cool SW LFS in town. She has a lovely display next to the cash register with a clown fish that’s jam packed with the coral. It’s only 5 gallons. She said she has a similar 10 G, not a 5 available. And it’s also $100. I asked what was so special about these pricey little tanks & she said nothing. LOL. She said I could just as well use any tank I have sitting around. She said the coral needs a special light & a clean up crew is essential. She was not specific re ongoing maintaining costs. She said a small tank setup, as in her 10 G would run me close to $400, including a fish & coral.

Don’t know of I’ll go this route but it’s something to ponder. I do see used SW setups in the local Facebook groups. The guy who sold me a nice 44 G corner tank was extremely anxious to sell me his SW equipment. I had no interest then. He was more than willing to set everything up for me.

One of the big issues I have with these small " at the register" tanks is the stores like to put popular fish, that grow rather large, in them when they are small. It's equivalent to putting that small feeder comet in a 1 gallon bowl. Can they live in it? Sure, for a short while. But in responsible fish keeping, that would be considered a " No-No".
Here's the downside of small marine tanks: when they go bad, they go bad much faster than a small freshwater tank will. So the suggestion is always go as large as possible that you can properly set up. Skimping on filters and lighting and machinery usually always has a bad ending. Keep in mind also that saltwater is corrosive so you really have to be careful with metals in and around the tanks.
The biological system is similar, bacterially, in SW as in FW only there are a few extra ways of achieving it. i.e. Live rock, no substrate, wet/dry filters, sumps, etc) Fish only tanks should also use a protein skimmer while invertebrate only tanks may be able to get away without one but if there are fish in also, it should have one. Corals need certain elements removed from the water so you are looking at RO or RO-DI water. Then there are the supplements that corals need to survive. Then there's the fish. Some fish kept are actually really small in comparison to how large they really get. Certain popular fish species need really long tanks for swimming even when small or they stress out and get sick. Here's a couple of articles you should read: https://www.saltwateraquariumblog.com/a-list-of-the-20-most-popular-saltwater-fish/ ( Pay attention to the tank size minimums for the fish. Minimum usually means go larger. )
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/marine-fish-with-character/ ( This will give you a good idea of the necessities for a fish only tank. )

Ideally, you should have a list of fish in your mind that you want to put into the tank so that you can know what sized tank you would need to set up. The reason for this is because there are swimmers, there are schoolers and there are sedentary species. Water volume is second to tank shape for swimmers and most schoolers while sedentary fish don't need a lot of space but the larger water volume is better for the system.

In the final analysis, I've successfully kept SW tanks of 1 gallon to systems as large as 25,000 gallons and I can tell you, the bigger tanks were much easier to deal with. More expensive to keep, but less aggravating. :whistle:

Thanks, I am most appreciative of your information here. & will reread it many times & see if I can email it to myself, easier than logging in.

What did you keep in the 25K tank? A Great White? A mermaid?

Thanks, I am most appreciative of your information here. & will reread it many times & see if I can email it to myself, easier than logging in.

What did you keep in the 25K tank? A Great White? A mermaid?

Wholesale fish importer so I kept everything in it. ;)

I have a 5G SW again, which will just be a little low tech critter tank with inverts and maybe a wee fish.

Jacky, you can do a starter tank very economically just to get your FW feet salty. And see if you like it. Start looking at all the info for simple and easy fish and things for the tanks. Start a thread about you being interested and what you're thinking of.

There is no end to how much money you could spend. But not necessary.

Lots of people have got away from the SW hobby, even so many of the people who where in it BIG!!! It can be very expensive for the sweet stuff.

I have a 5G SW again, which will just be a little low tech critter tank with inverts and maybe a wee fish.

Jacky, you can do a starter tank very economically just to get your FW feet salty. And see if you like it. Start looking at all the info for simple and easy fish and things for the tanks. Start a thread about you being interested and what you're thinking of.

There is no end to how much money you could spend. But not necessary.

Lots of people have got away from the SW hobby, even so many of the people who where in it BIG!!! It can be very expensive for the sweet stuff.

Please keep in mind that there are no fish past maybe Neon Gobies or other gobies in that family, that will do well in a small environment long term. Sure you can have them for a short while but it's no different than a goldfish in a small bowl. Stick to small inverts and/or non mobile animals in a tank that small. (y)

Hey Andy! Haven’t been in for a while. Glad to see you still reefing.
Actually, as with many it seems, I too am no longer keeping any marine tanks. When I moved to this new area, the selection and availability of items went way down so not really worth it to me to keep it going. I did resurrect an 85 tank hatchery for FW Angelfish and some other species and was going strong but after Hurricane Irma about 5 years ago, most of my customers lost their stores so I closed the hatchery. Now, I just like to keep my education up to date on what's going on in the field. What has been done with coral fragging and cross breeding and making new colors via lighting has been an eye opener. A far cry from what I was getting as an importer. :^0

I AM looking forward to seeing your new setup. (y) The 300 was amazing so I can just imagine what the 400 will turn into. ;) You are proof that marine fish, when cared for properly, are a much longer lived fish than most freshwater species. I remember there being an article about a pair of clownfish in the Marshall islands that were studied for over 25 years. I used to show that article to all the customers that complained that their clowns didn't live all that long because they were " fragile". They never really liked learning that cheaping out on their setups was the most likely cause of their losses. :whistle: ;) If I recall, some of your fish should be at least that old. Right?

Please keep in mind that there are no fish past maybe Neon Gobies or other gobies in that family, that will do well in a small environment long term. Sure you can have them for a short while but it's no different than a goldfish in a small bowl. Stick to small inverts and/or non mobile animals in a tank that small. (y)

Yes indeed. Started a 5G with a couple shrimp, before ~9 years ago. Then with a 12G and then a 15G and got a little Clown Goby which lived happily in a number of tanks for about 7 years. Lost him last year. Miss him. Will be upgrading something 30G or less. Having a fun time watching the pods and snails. One of my "snails" ended up being a hermit crab. An now he's a little bigger and is going after the snails, even though he has a pile of sizes and shapes of shells. So he needs to move on.

I do appreciate you sharing the tank size inhabitant info to keep it clear. Yes one person I know said oh it's fine to have a Percula Clown fish in a 5G, "They are small fish". But they do not stay small. Even though they stay small, say compared to a Tang. I bought a 50G tank to house a Mandarin Goby.

It seems to me keeping our critters in an environment which they will enjoy, is worthwhile so you can be happy with them.

Yes indeed. Started a 5G with a couple shrimp, before ~9 years ago. Then with a 12G and then a 15G and got a little Clown Goby which lived happily in a number of tanks for about 7 years. Lost him last year. Miss him. Will be upgrading something 30G or less. Having a fun time watching the pods and snails. One of my "snails" ended up being a hermit crab. An now he's a little bigger and is going after the snails, even though he has a pile of sizes and shapes of shells. So he needs to move on.

I do appreciate you sharing the tank size inhabitant info to keep it clear. Yes one person I know said oh it's fine to have a Percula Clown fish in a 5G, "They are small fish". But they do not stay small. Even though they stay small, say compared to a Tang. I bought a 50G tank to house a Mandarin Goby.

It seems to me keeping our critters in an environment which they will enjoy, is worthwhile so you can be happy with them.
GregCoyote is a great example of how when you give the fish the space they need, they will live in an aquarium for a long time. I believe some of his fish are over 20-25 years old. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom