Saddleback Clowns Guarding Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Well I think she laid eggs and they are guarding their lair!

Here are the 2 Saddleback Clowns (SC) a couple months ago, I can't load new pics because my phone is acting up.

60074-albums13960-picture67479.jpg

Their big cave is at the upper area of the rocks, whenever I come into the room they bolt into the area, there are 2 entrance/exit spots one right and one left.

It all happened immediately after I did a pwc and cleaned out the HOB filter. The Clown Goby was behaving normally, snails and corals all completely normal. The 2 SC MIA. I rack my brain reviewing the process of the pwc and filter cleanout, temp wondering if I did something to kill them, all was normal.

Then after a few hours I see they are in the cave, way into the cave. Feed a little. Still shy and barely coming out, where they are always usually out showing off to get attention and food :)

Of course did testing, all parameters as usual. I do 1G pwc each week but skipped a week after doing a 2.5 pwc and all parameters were good.

Then this time I nearly 1.5-2G pwc since I cleaned out the HOB.

After shinning a light into the hole I think I saw little bumpy spots that looked like eggs.

I researched some from previous questions and SniperHank's link /recommendation of info for raising them...:facepalm: What a crazy thing, tiny live foods argh! I still have about 6 days until they would hatch if I am reading everything right. I have no experience growing tiny SW foods. There is a local hobbyist who sells several types of live foods and starters...

So just wanted to hear about anyone's trials and/or success at breeding the little guys. I have them in the 15G column, was going to put them into the empty 35G, but wanted to get a new light attachment for the hood, the previous one corroded and some new sand and didn't think there would be any hurry.

I understand they will just keep laying eggs for a very long time if they are happy so I shouldn't stress over it. Just get the other tank together and prepare if I want to raise them.

Last edited:
Though far from an expert in any means in the matter, but from everything I have read regarding raising fry is that it is near impossible to successfully raise them when not already in a bare tank and if they even hatch, which usually isn't likely, that it is free food for your tank.

I had two pairs in my 280 and they both spawned. But only one pair was ever able to raise the fry until I can catch them. I was able to raise 20 fry till they where old enough to sell. I fed them BB shrimp, coepods, my own reef mix, and powered NLS pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good to hear is IS possible though not likely. I will stop stressing over this for now, pick up some live food for the SW fish.

The tank I was going to put them in I threw a pair of FW Angelfish with eggs on a Anubias and after a few days thought they were all gone with but last night found they were wigglers so I don't have the tank available for a little bit to move the SW anyway.

Since there is a negligible possibility I would even have to deal with it, I will have a plan B bucket /tote option. And get the live food.

Family mentioned getting me a rimless 12G tank and stand I saw for bday/Cmas... The other half of the family think I have a "MTS problem" and prefer I not be further encouraged! So not too sure how that will turn out!

Still interested if anyone else wants to share their experiences. I was just a bit shocked I might get 2 batches of babies to help care for, when I didn't think I would have any.

Now, as far as I know I will be picking up that amazing new 12G rimless tank, not the Mr. Aqua 12G, a rectangle shape.

So the question is, leave them to hatch and feed them something yummy and VERY tiny, and move them into the new tank with some live rock in it, or, not live rock, bare bottom and then what would I do. I have a brand new in box hob filter and the hob that is already on the tank now. I have heaters and bulk filter media and nylon stockings to add to cover the hob intake...

Just not too sure what avenue to take. I am covering the HOB intake tonight with the new rinsed and Prime'd nylon.

The parents are the only 2 fish plus a Clown Goby. 3 Hermit Crabs and a bunch of snails. (My FW angelfish wigglers have one swimmer, now I even more nervous about raising these Clownfish too, but excited)

Hi Autumnsky! :) I know this thread is older, but I haven't been on in a while and just came across it! :)

Just wanted to say how I loved your Saddleback Clowns! They are such unique specimens that you don't see everyday in the aquarium trade. They look very cute, and I love their "design." What made you decide to go with this species?

I didn't know you had a SW tank, see how out of the loop I am? LOL! Any pics of a FTS? :)

Thanks!

When I saw them at MACNA, they came from Sustainable Aquatics, I really thought that at their maturity, their deep rich coloration was impressive, and not seen all the time. Ah, heck they were just cute!

(I really would like a Percula too though, you can't beat that vibrant orange color.)

The tank will be moving over to a 35G in the next week or so, life has gotten in the way, as I was planning on doing this before. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I will see about a full tank shot tomorrow. It is a bit messy now due to the algae for the Collector (Halloween) Urchin. But hey it is just the way it is!

The SB Clowns have still been hiding a bunch. I changed heaters and now they are a little warmer, was around 76F, now 80F and they seem to like it warmer. Changed the rock when I added my 12G and moved it around but kept a nice cave for them to hide in.

Yes - now have the 12G rimless garden, 5G I started macroalgae micro mini just snails. And the 15G with a Clown Goby and the 2 Clowns. Looking for a new option or two for tank mates. A Royal Gramma probably.

Great story! I would love to go to MACNA one of these days, if only it would come a little closer!

That's exciting about the tank upgrade underway. I had a Royal Gramma is my old 125g, I just love them, their color is spectacular!

Do you have a build thread for your saltwater tanks? I would enjoy following along!

Bad pic I know but they are really nice and I will sometime soon get some pics that will get their physical attributes more accurately!

They are getting more friendly like they were before and they are still eating better. They now rush out, quickly return to the cave and then comeback out to see me, and get me to feed them, the little piggies, when I come into the room or walk past!

That's fantastic that they are acting personable like that! My Black Ice Clown is like that too. He sees me near the tank and comes over like "Hey, you're next to the tank, you must be feeding me!" :lol: They are such a pleasure to have... :)

My Halloween Urchin has been a piggy too. I dropped in a few chunks of large Hikari Algae wafers and the Clown darts out of the cave and grabs it the other night.

Last night I tried to put a wafer on the Urchin but it was taking a nap the wafer fluttered away and the Clown darts out and with the jaws of death - bites the big .75 inches algae wafer and steal it into their lair. It is huge but it turns out they have a big mouth! lol

Back
Top Bottom