Safe Specific Gravity and Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I working to better understand specific gravity and salinity.
My tank is currently reading 81% and my Aquarium Systems SeaTest Meter is reading 1.024 specific gravity or almost 33 ppt.

I’ve read that a good target is around 1.025 @ 80*F. How concerned should I be about being off and what’s the best way to gradually increase my salinity without shocking the tank’s inhabitants?

Are the Systems SeaTest Meters accurate?

Thanks
Oliver

That's exactly what I try to keep mine at. 1.025 @ 80*F. I use the Aquarium Systems hydrometer. I have a Deep Six by Coralife also. I just tested the coral tanks with 2 Seatests and the Deep Six.
Seatest #1: 1.0255
Seatest #2: 1.023
Deep Six: 1.024
I think, when using these type hydrometers, the best you can hope for is to be in the "safe" range. I have never tested one against a refractometer as I don't have one, but it is high on my list of "gotta haves".
I don't think you have much to worry about as long as you don't let it get too far off. My tanks are relatively small and I run them open top so there is lots of evaporation. I know the salinity fluctuates a point or two each way. I fill up the sumps each night which brings it back down kinda quickly and all the critters never seem to notice. I think you could bring it up a point or two at water change time or by adding a weak salt mix when you top off for evap without doing any damage. JMHO.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom