Safe to run equipment through dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all: I have a Red Sea prizm Skimmer running, I know some people love 'em and others hate 'em. For better or worse, it works for me.

My question is this, is it safe for the aquarium inhabitants if I run this thing through the dishwasher with some dishwasher detergent running?

There is gunk at the bottom of the skimmer that I have troble getting out when I clean it in the sink, and I want to get it b/c I am not quite able to get my NO3 below 5, and I wanted to see if this might be a contributor of NO3 by washing it every couple of days in the dishwasher and keeping it cleaner. Sometimes when I adjust the flow a little too high, some solids come out in the outflow and I have a sneaking suspicion I may find one of my final culprits behind NO3.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if that is a good idea. You may end up with residue. Can you clean it with dilluted vinegar? (I'm not sure if it will work, so you may want to wait on other's advice).

you might use vinegar instead of soap in the dishwasher, that will also clean the deposits out of the spraybars and such.

I would definitely run a load or two after you do the skimmer (without dishes) to clean out the dishwasher again.

ReefRaff said:
they usualy print on the product if it is dishwasher safe or not. LOL just kidding. :drinking:
That is a good point, some of that plastic could melt....

I agree dont use detergent as you will have residue on your equipement. Vinegar was mentioned and is a good idea.

No access to a garden hose?

I just take everything around the side of the house and blast it clean with a jet nozzle on the garden hose... squeeky clean and no chemicals needed.

Good idea. I have been searching everywhere for those 5 ppm of NO3, cut back feeding to once every other day, etc, etc. But still getting NO3 readings.

I think I may have found my problem with the Skimmer gunk.

Back
Top Bottom