Salifert test kit help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since my tank crash I have been unable to get my Alk/Cal levels back up.. Am I getting that with I use my Salifert alk/cal test kits and they dont change color until I have completely used the syring and added a few drops more, my levels are still low??

I have been adding 10cc of B-ionic ( its a 45 gallon ) for about two weeks with no change. Can I SAFELY add more B-ionic to get them back in line??

If you are completely emptying the syringes when using the test kits your levels are too high, not too low. Are you using the nib adapter that came with the kit for the syringe? It will properly (for the most part) offset the airspace gap in the syringe making the test more accurate.

When using the Ca test kit at full strength (not ½ test), the amount in the syringe should not go below the 8 ml mark (460 ppm) and the alk should not go below the 24-26 ml mark (4.15-23 mEq/l). If the color changes are not occuring until well past that, the chems are too high and you need to stop adding them to the tank until they lower and are needed.

I would also suggest a few good size water changes to avoid possible abiotic precip...

Cheers
Steve

Are you saying you only put in a few drops of the syring and then it changes color?? My kit shows that I need to be at 0.10 to equal 450 to get there I need to empty the syring almost all the way as the 1.0 is at the top and the and the 0.10 is at the bottom. So I would think its to low it I need more solution then the syring can hold...Does that make since??

reefobsessed said:
So I would think its to low it I need more solution then the syring can hold...Does that make since??
Not really.

If your levels are low, the amount of the titrant needed from the syringe would be less than 1.0 . The higher the chem levels in the tank, the more titrant that must be added to get a chemical reaction and change the color.

If you are adding more titrant than one syringe can hold, your levels are close to precipitation unless you are not using the nib as I mentioned above and only filling the syringe until the bottom of the black plunger is level to the 1.0 mark. Each black line on the syringe is equal to 0.001 ml. To get a correct reading, it must be filled to the 1.0 mark at the other end.

Does that clear it up or make it more confusing...

Cheers
Steve

Let have a beer and think about it and Ill let you know... Thanks Steve.....

Ok Steve, I just did a cal and it went down to the 0.20 and changed color so all is good there. However, it took an entire syring to get the ALK to change but not more. SO, if I am getting it, I will want to monitor the cal and add only it should it fall and then wait to add more alk until it takes only 0.20 to get it to change?? Or should I always dose the B-Ionic is equal amounts and it will level itself out....

Glad you got the nack of the test kits :wink:

One of the draw backs to B-ionic and other two part liquids is they must be used in unison. If only one of the two is used, the net result will actually be nothing or in fact can supress the element you are trying to raise. It is very important they are used in equal amounts.

I would instead suggest you test a batch of newly prepared SW after a 24 hr mixing period has passed to determine the levels there. If they are "close enough", do a few more water changes instead. The only alternative to that would be adding a seperate buffer and CaCl to acheive a reasonable balance later once the chem problems you have now are eliminted.

Right now your concern is allowing the alk to fall. Since you are in no danger of precip with the Ca being at 400 ppm the real concern is the off the chart alk level. That will honestly fall in the next few days on it's own. Being just shy of 6 mEq/l is not a good level but it should not create a serious problem at the moment as long as you discontinue the additions of the two part liquid for now.

Post back when you have the SW readings from a new batch.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom