salinity flucuations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
currently im cycling my 20 tank, and noticed that the salinity is raised after a 2-3 days, when the water evaps.

while i dont have any fish yet, im curious to know, will this flucuation hurt my tank when i get fish? say my readings go from 1.022 to 1.024 over a course of say a week, will the rise in salt be slow enough that the fish wont notice? or should i stay on them daily?

I think you already know the answer to your question :) Stability is the key to a successful reef. Will your fish be able to take salinity swings? Probably. They will like it better if the salinity stays the same though. I would try to do daily top offs or looking to a auto top off. Small tanks don't have the ability to absorb changes as well as a large tank. Small changes can cause huge issues in a small tank. I doubt the evaporation will be much unless you are running halides.

HTH

It's because the water evaporates and the salt stays in the tank. You should be ok just doing FW top offs, as needed.

I agree that you should be doing FW top offs every day. Put a mark on your tank. Know what your salinity is and fill up to that mark every day. Good luck.

course i understand that water doesnt evaporate, but say what would happen if i was gone for a week? could the fish adjust to .002 salt increase?

hc8719 said:
course i understand that water doesnt evaporate, but say what would happen if i was gone for a week? could the fish adjust to .002 salt increase?
The water does evaporate, not the salt. I believe that is what you meant.
In that case, I would get a fish sitter.

Auto top offs are nice for vacations. When I am gone for a week or more, I fill up a 40 gal trash can :)

Back
Top Bottom