Salinity question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katfish22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a few corals from my local fish store. My salinity in my tank is at 1.019 but I was told a salinity of 1.024 is most efficient for corals. How fast can I raise the salinity. Or should I leave it alone and hope the new corals adjust to the 1.019 salinity. I do small water changes daily so I was thinking I could add a little extra salt every water change until I get it up. Any suggestions?

I just purchased a few corals from my local fish store. My salinity in my tank is at 1.019 but I was told a salinity of 1.024 is most efficient for corals. How fast can I raise the salinity. Or should I leave it alone and hope the new corals adjust to the 1.019 salinity. I do small water changes daily so I was thinking I could add a little extra salt every water change until I get it up. Any suggestions?

Definitely get it up to 1.025-1.026. You can also top your tank off with saltwater instead of fresh to raise it. I'd do it very gradually over a couple days

Once again bribo is spot on. :)

raise the salinity slowly over a few days, using salted water for the top offs instead of unsalted will be the easiest and smoothest way.

Raising salinity

Same happening to me, mine was at 1.019 and I'm raising it day by day. I wanna reach 1.022 or 23... 'cause I have some fish coming in too. Or should I go to 1.025?

Back
Top Bottom