$salt$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a8r9d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How much do you all usley spend on salt for your tanks and how meny gallon's is it

thanks

That’s going to give you a ton of different answers based on pwc schedule and tank size :lol: *cough*Brenden*cough*

For my 55 gal I do a pwc of 6-8 gal per week and buy 200 gal salt buckets for $28 which last about 6-8 months at a time.

Every bucket of salt I've seen, will list how many gallons of SW it can create. Keep in mind to look at what SG their mix ratio equals.

Most I've seen are mixing at 1.018 - 1.020 SG...typically fine for FOWLR, but reef tanks run a little higher salinity, so you'll get a few less gallons out of a bucket.

Around here, the 5gallon bucket of Oceanic (260gals I think?) is around $50 on sale. SW isn't real big here, so everything's at a bit of a premium price.

thanks alot becouse some one told me they were spending like 300$ a moth on just salt and i was like bummer i wouldn't be able to do it if was 300$ a month how much you think it might run me for 120 gal

Brenden has a 525 gal tank which is one of the largest I've seen in the home. I think he said he does 80-100 gal pwc each week and even with the size of his tank it would only cost $60 a month. He buys in bulk like 30+ 5 gal buckets of salt mix and I think he gets them for $19 a pop if memory serves me.

I'm sure if he catches this he will correct me :p I think his power bill is running close to $500 a month for the MH lighting he has though :lol:

New store opened up down the street and it was on sale :D Usually it's still only $35 which still doesn't seem that bad.

Edit: Red Sea brand which I hadn't used before but testing gives me ca around 360-380 ppm and a ph of 8.2-8.3 when mixed to an sg of 1.025.

This what I do. Everytime I need salt I print out the exact pages from petsmart.com showing the cost of the salt. For example. I use Oceanic salt. Online at Petsmart you can get a 50g mix for $12.99 a 90g for $19.99 and 200g for $39.99. Take that page in there and get what you need. Present your paper at the register and they will honor it. I do it everytime for salt and any other thing I need there. Here is an example of the page I tear out. Oh, if you bout the 50g mix without this it would cost about $24 I think. $10 savings.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1143755333783&itemNo=1&In=Fish&N=2030148&Ne=2

yea thats what my dad did he wanted sum new filters and they were like 60-70$ and he got them for like 35$so if you go to the sites you save a LOT of money.

Back
Top Bottom