Salt brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for opinions on different salt mix .

I currently use aquavitro
And next question ,
Can you mix different kinds of salt ?
Or change salt ?

Yes you can mix water that has been made with different salts and yes you can change salts. Changing usually just involves switching salts during water changes.

I prefer Red Sea pro as it mixes super fast(30 minutes to 2 hours) and doesn't leave any kind of film or anything in the mixing container that others here have reported of other salts.

Yes you can mix water that has been made with different salts and yes you can change salts. Changing usually just involves switching salts during water changes.

I prefer Red Sea pro as it mixes super fast(30 minutes to 2 hours) and doesn't leave any kind of film or anything in the mixing container that others here have reported of other salts.

Ok . Thank you .
I was given a bucket different from what I use and wondering if I should get rid of it or if I can use it

Try putting an air stone in while curing, you will see stuff at the top (film).
I use an air stone with a power head when curing my water just to lift up any pollutants in the water than a paper towel just touching it will get it out.
Also not good switching salt mixes cause they have different water parameters ( reef crystals, normal.....) but its ok if you intend to stick with that brand.

I run a mixture of 50% Reef Crystals and 50% Oceanic. Have for years with no issues. I don't know that I would totally change my salt all at once, although I do know people who have done that, but as stated, different salts are going to give you different parameters.

I run a mixture of 50% Reef Crystals and 50% Oceanic. Have for years with no issues. I don't know that I would totally change my salt all at once, although I do know people who have done that, but as stated, different salts are going to give you different parameters.

I haven't had any problems with aquavitro yet was given a bucket of instant ocean

Not my personal favorite, although lots of people run it successfully without issue. Instant Ocean is the all purpose brand, Reef Cyrstals is the brand produced by the same company specifically for Reef tanks.

I switch between several different brands depending on price. I have never had any issues with doing it that way. I also do very large water changes, like 50% and it has never affected any livestock.

I prefer I/O reef crystals myself. Most people have a favorite so it's kinda personal preference.

Not my personal favorite, although lots of people run it successfully without issue. Instant Ocean is the all purpose brand, Reef Cyrstals is the brand produced by the same company specifically for Reef tanks.

What one were you saying wasn't your personal fav?

My personal favorite has to be oceanic. I like the 200 gallon buckets.
It also mixes very clean. A tad high on calcium and low on alk, but not too much that it's a major issue.
I switch salts on a regular basis also and generally have no issues. I recently used a bucket of fluval salt, and my corals and anemone did not like it. using kent now and everything is bouncing back nicely.

Has anyone ever used aqua vitro ?

White bucket with blue writing

Back
Top Bottom