Salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluzepher1

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best/most stable marine salt out there?
it seems they each have different specs?

maybe its just the water its mixed with. I dont know.

Anyway, what salt mix do you like and why?
thanks

What is the best/most stable marine salt out there? it seems they each have different specs? maybe its just the water its mixed with. I dont know. Anyway, what salt mix do you like and why? thanks
Kent reef mix. Cheap. Leaves a residue in the mixing container but only if left mixing for a long time . I've mixed 1000s of gallons in a 50 gallon drum and only had an issue to where I had to clean the drum when I left it mixing for two weeks due to a family emergency.

Oceanic. It has a high calcium level and mixes very clear. Been using it for 15+ yrs now. You can also do a search on the site here and get plenty of threads with people asking the same question. It will give you more answers.

Sorry for jumping in but what about changing brands. Get mine from lfs at min but looking into ro unit and want use better brand.

Kent reef mix. Cheap. Leaves a residue in the mixing container but only if left mixing for a long time . I've mixed 1000s of gallons in a 50 gallon drum and only had an issue to where I had to clean the drum when I left it mixing for two weeks due to a family emergency.

Exactly the reason I got away from Kent Marine.... It is a good salt, but I like to keep about 30 gallons mixed at any given time in case a larger PWC is needed or the QT tank needs to be filled in a hurry, and that brown residue was driving me nuts!!!
Moved to Red Sea Coral Pro, and haven't had an issue since.... plus the mineral content (Alk, Calk, Mag) tends to be higher.

Sorry for jumping in but what about changing brands. Get mine from lfs at min but looking into ro unit and want use better brand.

Changing brands is no problem. Just don't do a really large pwc with the new salt right away....... use the new salt with 10% pwc's, which will slowly change your system over.

Exactly the reason I got away from Kent Marine.... It is a good salt, but I like to keep about 30 gallons mixed at any given time in case a larger PWC is needed or the QT tank needs to be filled in a hurry, and that brown residue was driving me nuts!!! Moved to Red Sea Coral Pro, and haven't had an issue since.... plus the mineral content (Alk, Calk, Mag) tends to be higher. Changing brands is no problem. Just don't do a really large pwc with the new salt right away....... use the new salt with 10% pwc's, which will slowly change your system over.

Cool, thanks

Back
Top Bottom