Salt mixes and test kits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suthernsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a brand of salt that is any better than the rest or are they all pretty much the same. Same ? for test kits.

There are huge debates on this....

What do you plan on doing w/ the tank?

IMO if you're going reef Tropic Marin is the way to go. I know al alot of other people really like Kent and Oceanic as well. If it's a fish only tank I'd go with Instant Ocean. Different salts have differnt ingredients in increments of calcium/alkalinty etc... Wo ti really depends on how much money you want to spend and what you need the salt for.

I think the same goes for test kits. I used the cheap test kits for ammonia/nitrate/nitrate but use sailfert for ca/alk. I've found seachem are very good kits as well but think I will stick with Sailfert from now on.

Both are matter of opinion and in my limited trial and error, Instant Ocean and Salifert are my top choice. Marine Labs makes some decent kits but salifert seems to be more more granular. There have been a couple posts about Instant Ocean salt mix being used at various zoos which in my opinion bodes well for the product. Its what I use for salt though I have never had a reason to try any other.

GL!

i got the 200 gal mix of oceanic for 40$ it comes in a huge bucket with a resealable lid that had a rubber ring to prevent moisture.

Instant Ocean and Salifert. My backup for test kits, if I can't get Salifert, is Seachem. I think the Seachem is as accurate as Salifert, but for me, Salifert is easier to use. I've never had any reason to try another brand of salt.

I use IO Reef Crystals and like it. I've heard great things about Tropic Marin also. I think you'll find that most people use Instant Ocean. Some people have algae problems with Oceanic. Salifert for test kits.

Back
Top Bottom