salt on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new here so no laughing. I've had my salt water tank running for 6 weeks. There is alot of dried salt on the filter and around the top of the tank hood.I want to clean that off tommorrow and was wondering if it is ok to brush it off back into the tank. I really love this new hobby and have enjoyed reading this fourm. I'm sure I will be posting alot more questions. The man at my local fish store has had his business over 30 years and is very helpful but I can't call him with questions this late at night!

you can put the salt back into the tank but watch your SG and make sure it doesnt raise too much from it

welcome too AA 8)

What you are referring to is what is called "salt creep". This happens when water is splashed on a surface and then evaporates. All that is left behind is the salt.

I routinely brush it back into the tank like e-cat suggested. I get a ton of salt creep in my sump because of the light splashing I have with the overflow and skimmer down there.

I try not to add it to my tank, it is a simple matter to replace the salt durin a water change, but the salt is not the same anymore.

We had a similar thread awhile back and when one of our advisors posted to it his post rang true to me and I have held this view since.

Bang Guy said:
I remove it. Reason being is that by drying out the chemical composition will never be the same. All the Ca had precipitated with the Carbonate, etc.

It is no different than adding rock salt to your tank. Sure, it contains some trace elements but during the evap/condensing proceedure it has combined into crystals or combined with another element.

Ditch it or put it in a bottle and tell your significant other that it's g e n u i n e sea salt.

Yeah I have read this as well. I am on the fense about it though. Some say to add it while others say not to.

Back
Top Bottom