Salt water- buy it or mix it yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saarmd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently moved and the closest decent aquarium shop is 30 minutes away. I used to always buy instant ocean premixed and am now contemplating doing it myself. I would greatly appreciate any opinions. I have a 55 galloon tank so was planning to change 15 galloons every 2-3 weeks. I thought of having some water delivered in 5 galloon jugs and mixing it in there. What's the best way to stir it? Also, I read that it is better to aerate it overnight. Will an airstone suffice. I greatly appreciate any responses.

Water changes should be weekly.

If you make water at home it is usually cheaper to get an ro system and make your own water. It will also be more pure than drinking water.

I mix mine I have more control over it, I know my ro units filters are changed as needed and the SG. I use a maxijet 900 to mix it there is a hose attached to it so when I change the water I don't have to hold the bucket it just pumps the water right into the tank. I mix my water overnight and test it before using it to make sure the SG is right.

Thank you. Any suggestion on ro units? I came across a Coralife Pure-Flo II R/O 50. Just to make sure I am understanding, you make the water then mix in the salt in a separate container using a maxijet? Does that also aerate it?

I have the coralife with pump 100gpd with add on di. I have it hooked up to a 33 gallon trash can with auto shutoff. Then I put it in a 5 gallon with a minijet to mix.

You use the to water to topoff and to make saltwater. Make sure you use a good salt though.

I would check into a RO/DI unit. You can get them at a good price on ebay. I make mine at home. In the long run it will be cheaper and no more running around and lugging heavy water jugs.

Back
Top Bottom