Salt Water Tank Professional????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjmuir

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really need some advice here. I have done quite a bit of reading on this website but unfortunately it was after I had a new 50g SW tank delivered to my house. I was told by the aquarium store guy that SW tanks were easy to maintain after the initial setup (1-2 months). So I decided on a SW tank instead of a FW tank. Keep in mind I have no previous experience but I am enthusiastic to learn. I expected this guy to teach me what he knows and help me for the first few months. I paid him generously for 2 months of help.
Everything this guy has done and said to me is opposite what I read on this board. Also, I am overseas so I have to overcome the translation difficulties and his English is not very good.

Here is what he did so far.
1. Installed a 50g tank with some sort of filtration system in the bottom cabinet, a protien skimmer, a bubble producing device of some sort, a huge and very bright light on top (removed the stock lid), and a bunch of sand. Placed a hydrometer inside to test the salt. (total about $1100)
2. Four days after all of this was installed he showed up with 6 of what he called "diamond carpet anenome". ($50 a piece)
3. Two days later he showed up and fed the anenomes.

I began reading this board a couple days after the intitial install because I just wasn't confident in what this guy was telling me. Apparently, I was correct to be concerned.

He has not done one single test on the water in the tank other than looking at the salt water level with the hydrometer. He keeps telling me not to worry and that he will take care of everything for me. The water level is about 2 inches lower than inititally. I asked him what I should do to refill the tank and he told me to simply put tap water into it. :-? This seems really wrong according to all of you.

I would really like to have an SW tank. I am willing to put in the time and the money. I've learned quite a bit from this forum but I need advice on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would tell the guy to hit the road, It sounds to me as if he is just milking you for all your worth. The evaporated water should be topped off with RO/DI water. (Purified water)tap water has contaminates (nitrates,phospates etc..)in it that cause algae to grow and are damaging to corals as well. The hydromoters are often innaccurate readings of the salt level. Buying a $50(US dollars) refractometer is much more accurate and worth the small investment for testing the salt level accurately. This forum is free and much more helpfull than the guy interested in your money will be all of us here do this because we enjoy it and love to help. Good luck and welcome to AA

Welcome to AA!

Can you take and post some photos or diagrams of your setup. What does the filtration system look like? Does it have a bunch of little plastic balls with stems or ceramic rings in the section where the water from the tank goes into it?
Is the bubble producing thing part of the protein skimmer?
Do you have have live rock in the tank?
Can you get the manuffacture name and model number from any of the equipment you have. That would be helpful in identifying what you have and what you need.

Also, what country are you in?

It really sounds like this guy does not know that much at all. Anenome`s are a delicate invert that needs a very mature and stable tank. I always suggest at least a 6-8 month old tank. This tank is not even cycled let alone stable. I would get the guy to pick up the anenomes and then cycle your tank. We will help you along. When your tank does cycle the anenomes will not make it.

Back
Top Bottom