Saltwater Aquarium Disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a disaster story for my saltwater aquarium. I know a good chunk of this is my fault, and I am trying to make things right again, but am at kind of a loss.

I started this tank about 2 years ago, and for over a year everything was perfect. The corraline algae was beautiful, and everybody who visited loved looking at it. Then I had to move from one apartment into another apartment, and then started the disaster. I hadn't counted on the level of die-off that would occur even though the rock was only out of the water for about 2 hours and I did my best to keep it moist with wet newspaper. I had a serious ammonia spike which killed my shrimp and some of my snails. I was getting things back under control when my skimmer broke!

Because of the changes in my life that forced me to move, I had neither the resources to buy a new skimmer or the time to do regular maintenance. I have made 3 attempts to get the skimmer running again (full cleaning) and it will work beautifully for about 3 days and then the pump seems to lose power. If I just turn up the skim level, that will work, and then later on, the pump will go back to full force and at one point pumped over 5 gallons out the top onto the floor from the skimmer before I caught it (that was lovely). I can't trust my skimmer!

Meanwhile, the algae has literally gotten out of control. I can't figure out where the source of the problem is. There is currently now one fish in there, I feed him very lightly every couple days, and there may be a couple crabs in there crawling around in the algae. I use only reverse osmosis water purchased from my local grocery store (it's clean), have never used tap water. I try to keep my filter running, but I can't trust the skimmer, and without that running, I don't know how to solve this!

I have decided that the best thing for this aquarium is to sell it off to someone who will have the time and resources to properly care for it, but it is in absolutely no condition to sell right now! I know some will ask for water parameters, and I will try to get those online later today, but my fish is wonderfully healthy and showing no signs of stress.

I have decided I may need to invest in a new skimmer in order to get the aquarium into saleable condition, but I want to make sure I get one that will help the problem, and get me into a resolving situation, instead of just spending more money. Any suggestions? Help!

46 gallon aquarium
60 pounds live rock
live sand bed
Penguin 330 filter
Broken Coralife Super Skimmer (not sure what size, 65? sounds right)
Orbit 192-watt lighting system, lights run 10 hours a day

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe should have kept live rock in 5 gallon buckets with tank water. whats done is done though. Why not try running without the skimmer if money is tight and save. With one fish how tremendous is the bio load, really, given you have pretty quality filtration?

Cut back the lighting to 6 or 8 hrs daily. Mine is on only 8 in the best of conditions. Any ambient/window light involved? That could make it worse too.

Your'e gonna have to do frequent water changes too to get it under control.

I'm really interested in your nitrates. Also, even though you're using RO water, I'd still check the tank for phosphates which is algea fuel also.

Another thing comes to mind. Could also be time to change your light bulbs. They can aid the problem also if they're old and emitting a lesser or different spectrum.

If it's only RO water, it can still contain phosphate and silicate which will both fuel the algea. I suggest running some GFO(granular ferric oxide) and if possible test the ro water for phosphate.

When you moved the tank did you use the same sand? If you did the this could have been where the spike came from. I always suggest using new sand as so not to carry over the nasties from the old sand. JMO

ugh! I had the same skimmer and had nothing but fits with it.....after a year I tossed it and got something else that wasn't a fortune and REALLY works well. If you could get some rowaphos and (put it in the sock that's provided in the container it comes in) get it in the water flow that will help with the phosphates. I found out that even though I use ro/di water I still had a small amount of phosphates.....which caused algae. Keeping my lights on a shorten cycle, doing pwc of 20% a week and removing the algae when I did my pwc helped out a lot.

HTH

Thanks for all the replies so far! I haven't checked my phosphates yet, but it's definitely possible this could be a cause. I am going to do a water change, try to pull as much algae out as I can, and try to find a way to pull the phosphates out (like was recommended). Hopefully I can make some progress on this!

When you moved the tank did you use the same sand? If you did the this could have been where the spike came from. I always suggest using new sand as so not to carry over the nasties from the old sand. JMO

Actually, I didn't even remove the sand. I'll probably hear about what a no-no it is to move the aquarium with anything inside it, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I actually was trying to sell it, and the guy who was going to buy it backed out on me the night before I had to have the aquarium off the carpet for the carpet cleaners. I only had 3 hours to get it torn down and that was all by myself. So to make a long story short, it is definitely the same sand. The sand never moved.

Are there any skimmers that anyone would recommend?

Last edited:
If you are planning on keeping this tank and keeping it running there are a few things I would change.

#1. Take a hammer to that skimmer
#2. Add a refugium/sump to the system, load it up with LR rubble and lots of Macro.
#3. Change out those bulbs and reduce your photo period by half.
#4. Check all your water params. Nitrate Nitrite Ammonia PH Phosphate and SG
#5. Do 20% PWCs every week for a few weeks. Oh and check the Nitrate and Phosphate of your source water.

Even though you didn't remove the sand and stir it up by leaving it in the tank (I assume with some water) when you moved the tank all those nasties in the sand got mixed up and were ready to jump up in your water. LR being out of water for even 30 minutes can cause die-off. Sponges and other critters in and on LR can't be out of water. All the things that happened combined created the issue you are having. I understand that sometimes you just don't have a choice and you have to do what you have to do.

Basically you are starting from scratch. As for a skimmer I would look at the Aqua-C Remora (Austinsdad has one he would love to sell you) it is a great little skimmer and will work well you your tank. The HOB filter you have you need to clean it out weekly. If there are sponges in it or media bags of some kind they need to be cleaned or changed out.

Don't give up on your tank. You can get it back and you don't have to break the bank. Check in your area for local clubs, join and ask for help from some local folks. Most of the clubs around will be more then happy to help you out.

So sorry to hear about your tank problems. I'm sure all the experts here will help you get that beautiful tank back.

Last edited:
Fishcrack, can you post that question in the General Hardware/Equipment section? I think you would get a ton of great info there (and not hijack this thread...nudge, nudge). LOL!

I recently moved from CA to UT, and I feel your pain. IMO, time and patience is the key. Go slow. Fish do not need lights all the time. PWC until your NH3 and NO2 is gone.

Then, consider emerald crabs, or other inverts. My crabs made short order on my algae problem after I set up my tank.

Plus, the sump/Fuge is a great idea. I love mine, and it really helps to keep my reading stable.

Last night, I performed a 10% PWC, hacked as much algae off the rock as I could, cleaned the pads in my filter, and added a bio-bag with some phosphate absorbing balls. The next order of business is to clean the skimmer and give it another go. It already looks a ton better, just need to keep on top of it and remove the algae fuel!

Thanks everyone! Will keep this thread updated with my progress!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom