Saltwater aquarium problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FesteringGob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these are bad or are good for the tank. I have a 20 gallon tank with a rosebud anemone, yellow wrasse, tomato clown, 2 damsels, foxface, crabs, and a horseshoe crab. I have noticed that I have a strange growth coming out of the sand. I thought it was algea but it is not. It is a worm like thing. I have a couple of pictures. Also my live rock has a thick white and pink "mold" growing on it. Is it safe as well? Do I have something wrong with my tank. Sorry, I am still learning everything about saltwater.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I know they are huge, but I wanted to be able to show the detail of the things. I pulled one out of the sand last night. It looks like a worm and all the long things are growing off it it. I have about 6 in the tank and have no idea what they are or where they came from.

Thanks.

They are spaghetti worms (sand mason worms) They are good hitchhikers. They consume detrius.

Thank you. Should i be worried that there are a good many or should I just leave them be? I was just freaked out when the started to move. I did not realize they were alive. I thought it was some kind of algea or something.

Don`t worry be happy. They are good they will take care of the fish waste that falls to the bottom as fluff said. But I do worry about the horseshoe crab in a 20 gallon tank. Too small. Hopefully you`ll upgrade to a 210 later :wink:

Not sure when, but I am working on a 120 gallon. Don't know when I could cough up the dough for a 210. Would be nice though ;)

The problem with keeping horseshoe crabs in an aquarium is they will clean your sand bed of fauna then starve to death. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom