Saltwater... Is it hard??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get my rodi water from a watermill express that's serviced daily and it has a badge with a signature and a date daily. I knew a few guys that work for the company and they actually service everything daily for lawsuit purposes lol it's $0.15 a gallon.

Mine is .25 per gallon. Not much of a difference but still adds up

I get my rodi water from a watermill express that's serviced daily and it has a badge with a signature and a date daily. I knew a few guys that work for the company and they actually service everything daily for lawsuit purposes lol it's $0.15 a gallon.
As far as I know drinking water that is sold is only RO. The DI is considered unhealthy for human consumption.

As far as I know drinking water that is sold is only RO. The DI is considered unhealthy for human consumption.

Most drinking water round these parts of texas is from an ro/di machine. We drink that or bottled water because the faucet water sucks. It taste like crap and gives you the runs basically

Most drinking water round these parts of texas is from an ro/di machine. We drink that or bottled water because the faucet water sucks. It taste like crap and gives you the runs basically

Ha ha .

I dont believe consuming deionozed water is safe for humans. Either way the ro water will work

As mentioned above it will take more diligence to do a SW tank. It is a bit more costly also. But it is well worth the effort and will give you a feeling of accomplishment. FW does too but it`s just different.

As mentioned above it will take more diligence to do a SW tank. It is a bit more costly also. But it is well worth the effort and will give you a feeling of accomplishment. FW does too but it`s just different.

I am equally proud of my 3 FW tanks as I am my SW tank, but the SW tank gets all the attention from visitors. People seem to be more amazed that I have one nano tank than 3 FW tanks...I guess there's a mystique to the SW side.

IMO the color variety for salt water fish makes the difference. Not to mention the surprising number of corals that most people haven't seen before

I'm with molavi with the mystique of sw but I'm with you too as far as brighter more ,"neon" colors as my wife calls them, just more vivid fish and corals as well.

I'm with molavi with the mystique of sw but I'm with you too as far as brighter more ,"neon" colors as my wife calls them, just more vivid fish and corals as well.

I will agree .
More rewarding !
Think of everything else in life , the more hard work you put in makes it that much more enjoyable .
I get bored with FW
But can honestly say between feedings , weekly water changes and countless hours sitting and staring at different things that you didn't see the day before .
This is what makes a reef worth every second and dollar worth It

For those who would like to start the first salt water tank, I would recommend a nano tank (20 to 30 gal). The reason is, it is smaller or compact but has the essentials needed to maintain a salt water tank. You can start with fish only but you can later have corals. I would say that the hard part is, having patience for 2 to 4 weeks before you can add fish after it has cycled.

jeffaquarius said:
For those who would like to start the first salt water tank, I would recommend a nano tank (20 to 30 gal). The reason is, it is smaller or compact but has the essentials needed to maintain a salt water tank. You can start with fish only but you can later have corals.

Smaller tanks are usually harder to maintain and keep consistant water quality.

That's how they should learn. With lesser volume of water to deal with, you have less maintainance cost. Fish is more forgiving than corals when it comes to water quality.

For those who would like to start the first salt water tank, I would recommend a nano tank (20 to 30 gal). The reason is, it is smaller or compact but has the essentials needed to maintain a salt water tank. You can start with fish only but you can later have corals. I would say that the hard part is, having patience for 2 to 4 weeks before you can add fish after it has cycled.

I agree, if you can keep a small tank like that stable, than a larger tank will be easy. And plus, the water changes wouldn't be so labor intensive. couple hardy fish and on your way!
Give it a shot, if you have the passion for it, you will succeed!

I agree, if you can keep a small tank like that stable, than a larger tank will be easy. And plus, the water changes wouldn't be so labor intensive. couple hardy fish and on your way!
Give it a shot, if you have the passion for it, you will succeed!

A small tank can be hard(er), but only if you don't take your time and keep on top of things. Rushing the setup will lead to disaster. Neglecting top-off and salinity checks will do the same. In my 20, I check salinity every other day and top off as needed (though I will be getting an ATO this week). I do weekly PWCs, checking and logging all parameters so that I can see how things shift over time.

My first SW tank is a 35 gal. I still have all my original fish (knock on wood). So it is do-able.

Mines a 36g bow front and I still have all my original stock (knock on wood) and I've picked up on maintenance and parameters fairly quick do to the tank size.

Mines a 36g bow front and I still have all my original stock (knock on wood) and I've picked up on maintenance and parameters fairly quick do to the tank size.

What do you think? Would you call it "hard"?
I think it all has to do with dedication.

Back
Top Bottom