Saltwater Mix For Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what do you mean by salt mix? As far as I'm concerned salt is salt, you can get a bad batch with any manufacturer. Check out Bulk reef supply and amazon you can get good deals there!

We normally call it salt mix since it contains several trace elements. It depends on what you refer to as the BEST. Each brand may differ on the ratio of elements they contain. The way for you to find out is buy a small pack of each and do the test yourself. I know most people use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals and they are available everywhere. There are some who would use several brands to replenish the elements they need so no need for dosing.

I used Kent and coralife salts awhile back and was not impressed. They both left a residue in my salt pails and didnt mix as quickly as I would have liked. I buy instant ocean from drs foster and smith for like $50 a box with free shipping and thats for 200g.

Everyone has their favorite salts, it's kinda a personal preference. :)

I have not had problems with Instant Ocean, Reef Crystal, or Kent. All of those were bought for good deals, and I will continue to look for discounted salt mix.

Amazon has 200g boxes of IO ($52) and reef crystals ($57) youll pay this price for a 160g bucket in stores

eBay.

9bfdLxK.jpg

Fosters and smith, they are free shipping over $49....
Ipl6Jhi.jpg

jYD4tlQ.jpg

I use both Kent Reef which gives great cal, mag, n ph readings plus a 200 gallon box is $44 on dr. F&S and Coralife from time to time, Amazon runs specials on that mix 3x a yr for 150 gallon bucket for $30.99 so I buy 3 when they pop up. To each his own but, my reef has flourished under these two compared to IO.

So far I've used regular instant ocean, reef crystals, and kent. I liked that kent mixed easier, but after all 200 gallons were mixed there is a residue left in my bucket like Carey said. This week I'm mixing up my first batch of Red Sea to see how I like it. So far I like kent the best, but have an odd feeling ill like Red Sea even more. In reality, it is probably an on sale thing for most people.

Back
Top Bottom