Saltwater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I just wanted to know if everyone has the same issue. I have my saltwater constantly mixing in a 35 gal tote, it is mixed by a 400gph water pump. When the time comes to do a water change, I reach in to grab the hose, and it feels slimy. The tote is dark blue and in my garage, so no light penetration (ie algae), tote is sealed by the lid, and no apparent algae or dirt, etc.

To answer a few questions preemptively:
My tds from my 4 stage ro/di is zero
SG is at 1.022
Temp 85-90 degrees
Constantly mixing
Always sealed
Test salt water for ph and nitrates
Ph 8.2-8.4
Nitrates 0ppm

Is this normal? I've done a few WCs, so far, fish are healthy and happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you asking about the slimy hose?
If so than the answer is yes, that is to be expected.
What you are feeling is a bacterial coating on the hose, nothing at all to be concerned about. ;)
Even if completely sealed, bacteria will begin to grow on any/all surfaces.

Are you asking about the slimy hose?
If so than the answer is yes, that is to be expected.
What you are feeling is a bacterial coating on the hose, nothing at all to be concerned about. ;)
Even if completely sealed, bacteria will begin to grow on any/all surfaces.

*whew! Thank you so much. I was a little concerned. Can this bacteria turn "bad" after some time? Like I said before, sealed tote, and always circulated, so no bugs and dirt etc.

*whew! Thank you so much. I was a little concerned. Can this bacteria turn "bad" after some time? Like I said before, sealed tote, and always circulated, so no bugs and dirt etc.

Naw, it should be fine as long as you keep it circulating.
You may want to drop an airstone in there if it is completely sealed, only to help keep it oxygenated, that would ensure no "nasty" bacteria get a foothold.

Happens all the time at our shop. We premix water the same way to speed up morning maintenance. Not quite sure what that slime is exactly, but we've never had any problem.

Very awesome. Love this site, love this app. You all rock!

Back
Top Bottom