Saltwater Reef Tank vrs Saltwater Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESL12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok forgive me for this question but I am relativly new to the saltwater tank world.

What is the difference between Saltware Reef and Saltwater Fish tank. I had thought that the saltwater fish require some reef for there survival?

What is the difference in the tank set up, Filtration, lighting etc...

IM new to this and have plans to put an inwall tank in my basement. Im starting from scratch both the wall and the tank are not built yet and i want to ensure I get things right from the start. Thanks all!!!

Both setups normally have Rock with form a reef look.

Fish Only Tank will have Live Rock

A Reef tank will have Live Rock along with Living Corals

Ok.. so What exactly are living Corals? I thought those grow on the live rock... over time of course.

Well... I guess some LiveRock purchased will contain some Corals (mine did NOT). But most desirable corals will be removed before the rock is sold.

So, I guess if you happen to get some liverock with a mushroom or sponge on it, then youll have a reef tank too. However, the corals I'm referring to are the colorful ones we all add to our tank once it's established.

Like these:

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

The FOWLR tank predominantly concentrates on the display of saltwater fish. As such it is a much more forgiving environment as compared to the true reef tank. Lighting requirements, water quality, water chemistry, filtration and flow are much more demanding in the true reef tank. There are several different categories of corals that each have different lighting requirements.

The reef tank focuses much more on coral rather than fish (plus your fish selection is limited to those species that won't eat your expensive coral).

Many of us end up with the hybrid. FOWLR with 'reef' inhabitants that will survive based the equipment and fish/inverts we have in out FOWLR tanks.

The hobby progression is typically freshwater - saltwater FOWLR - saltwater reef. With each becoming more advanced, difficult and expensive.

Captain puts it perfectly. Many aquariums conatin NO corals at all (like mine). The cost is prohibitive for many people, and this is no shame as they can be very pricey not only to purchase, but to maintain (think about your utility bill for the lighting requirements). My local shop sells corals at about $100 to start! It is, to me, a big leap. If you are starting out, do only live rock for now. When your tank (and you) have more time and experience under your belt, then invest in a coral. otherwise, you may be investing hundreds into something that will die in your tank.

Along the lines of this post...does anyone know a good "starter" coral for the newb to corals? Presently, my tank is only live rock. I feel ready to take on the additional responisibilities of the coral world. I've been eyeing a Green Leather Coral (aquacultured). Do corals count for bioload in my tank?

Thanks, and I hope I didn't "hijack" this thread.

Ok, now I understand... Thank you!!!

So I presume for someone new to this like myself, i should start off with a Saltwater FOWLR and most likely let it grow into a hybrid... Im new and will be starting with a 90-120 Gallon Tank.. not sure which one would be best for me. I will be building this into a wall in my basement, the wall and tank will be all from scratch as I am in the middle of finishing the bastment. Any suggestions?

All things considered the 120 would be better. The 90G (I have 1, now 2) is a 4ft foot print. By moving to a 120 (I presume 125) you get a 6 foot long tank. Trust me, the kind of fish your going to gravitate to (tangs, triggers, etc) love (some say require) the extra lateral swimming space.

The other side is that the lighting is more expensive (4 vs 6), filtration, etc.

Planning on a sump for filtration? More equipment. and on and on

I have just started my tank as well. I was given the good advice of starting with a end in mind.

If you are going to want corals eventually it will impact the fish you choose to buy unless you want to sell your fish back or risk getting your corals nipped at.

I do want corals at some point so I decided to only get "REEF SAFE" fish

To be honest, I am very new to this type of tank, I had a fresh water set up for many years but am now moving into Saltwater. I am here on this site to try to educate myself on what ill need and how to set it up. Any and all Advice would greatly be appreciated. It was suggested to me to get a wet/dry system... Im not to sure what that is. I also saw in a local store, a Fluval 405, but that states its only good to 110 Gallon Tank. With Tank size in mind... the 90 with 4ft foot print, the 120 I saw had a 4ft foot print was 2 feet wide. The 90 I believe is 1.5 feet wide.

While bigger is generally better.. you fish limits will be more based on length rather than height or width. It's a pain getting into the 90 I have now. Reaching the back corners is a .. well... wet experience..

If you're going 4, I'd do the 90.

Soo.. your decisions are this:

a) Filtration: Sump/wetdry, canister, HOB(hang on back) or some combination of
b) Lighting
c) Flow
d) Sand/Crushed Coral - Sand is much better...
e) Live Rock ?
f) If you decide on sump or wetdry .. drilled or overflow..
g) Skimmer?

Those are some of the decisions you will need to make

I guess maybe I should tackle one at a time... Filtration.. Whats best.. Assuming I do a 90... I feel like a Canister is easier for the new guy... but for the fish and the tank is a wetdry better? HOB? Is that easier then the rest? I had a HOB for fresh water but always thought they were no good for saltwater.

Whats RO/DI systems? Ive seen that alot... Is it something that is necessary?

In the end you'll probably end up w/ one. RO or RO/DI units give you filtered 100% pure water. Stands for reverse osmosis and reverse osmosis / deionization.

So basically this is only needed for adding water to the tank.. or a water change. I happen to have access to this type of pure water at my office. So ill probably fill up some 5 gallon pals of it as needed.

So during a lil more of my research ive heard a few people make reference to a refuge tank is this something that is necessary for a FOWLR Tank?

Not not necessary.

Be sure about the water at your office. Filtered/bottled water is not RO water.

I would suggest you do some research, here and many other places on the web (Google) then you'll be better able to get some specific answers

Yeah im sure about my office water, I work for a pharmacutical company and we have alot labs for testing and manufacturing which all require RO water. Its FDA regulated so its all top notch equipment providing that water.

I appreciate all your help.... Im still undecided between wet/dry and a canister, ill have to research that some more too.

I guess maybe I should tackle one at a time... Filtration.. Whats best..

The best filtration IMO is LR and a skimmer. Really all you need. If later you decide you want a sump or refugium that will be a plus. 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon of LR is good biological filtration. A good skimmer plus the LR will go a long way. Also check out the images of other folks here to see reef tanks a FOWLR tanks.

Back
Top Bottom