Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started a new aquarium. It's 40 gallons, 36x12x18. I purchased enough sand to make a 4" DSB. The sand was Indo Reef Sand. I also purchased an RO/DI unit. The water coming out of the filter is perfectly clear. It tastes pretty good too. When I added the water to the sand it instantly went dark grey. Atfer I was done cursing.... (just kidding) I sucked the water out and replaced it. I intended to do this a couple of times to wash the sand. Unfortunately, it takes too long. So, I scooped some out into a pail and washed it in my tub. It didn't matter how many times I rinsed it, everytime I stir up the sand, the water turns grey.

I put the sand back in the aquarium and added more water. I put a little fluval 200 in the tank to move them water around and try to filter it a bit. That was last night. When I woke up this morning, the water was significantly cleaner, until i stirred it a bit. Then it went dark grey again.

Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,
Phil

pm64971 said:
Anybody have any ideas what I should do?
Nothing at all.

The fine particles are actually a benefit for colonizing bacterial surfaces and should not be removed. Over time the weight of the bacteria will keep down the sand particles and you will not have this issue.

Cheers
Steve

Is it actually sand particles? It doesn't look anything like sand. I would have thought the sand would have turned the water brown not nearly black.

pm64971 said:
I would have thought the sand would have turned the water brown not nearly black.
Depends on how much it was mixed up. Usually placing the water in gentley will eliminate much off the floating debris but if as you say it was "stirred", that would add a great deal of particulate matter into the water.

Where did you purchase the indo reef sand?

Cheers
Steve

The sand came from a store in New Jersey. It was manufactured in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Should stirring it have turned the water dark?

pm64971 said:
Should stirring it have turned the water dark?
Yes! The smaller particles, "dust" if you will, do not have enough weight to fall from the water column and can take much longer to settle once aggitated.

Cheers
Steve

Just leave it alone and let it settle. If the sand was stirred it is perfectly normal. Just let it sit and it will settle soon.

:hat:

Back
Top Bottom