sand advice (need answer by thur 2 pm)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
please let me know of what you finheads out there think about this

i have 120 pounds of caribsea aragamax select (.05 -1.0 mm)
in my 90 galon tank
1 should i get enough of the same to make 3.5 -4 inches dsb

2 use seafloor special mix on top

3 use sugar size oolitic sand on top

4 put the sealfloor on the bottom with the select on top

5 put the oolitic sand on the bottom and select on top

i'm looking to get some sort of answer by 2 pm est thursday
any help would be appreciated

oh and i found something growing on my rock today very small probably algae (green)
strange because there is nothing in the tank but these 4 rocks
looks like they were once seeded but died off long ago
maybee the stuffs waking up again???
just had them in there for 3 weeks for me to have something to look at instaed of just a tank of sand

I would probably go a little deeper that 3.5-4". 5-6" would be better. Also, since you already have the Aragamax, I'd stick with that. The reason is if you add a different size sand, they will mix up. Actually, since you're using that type sand, you might want to consider sticking with a shallow sand bed. I'm not sure if you'll get good results as far as nitrate removal with this size sand.

My most local "Coralist" (is that a word yet?), which is 2 hrs away, likes 2/3 Agaramax on the bottom and about 1/3 Seaflor on top for at 4-6 inch total for a dsb. Sealfor is a bit heavier and larger grained and keeps the finer and ligher agaramax in place, so she recommends Seaflor on top of the Agaramax.

Check out her reef making tips at:

http://www.aquacorals.com/ShopTipsReefSetUp.htm

currently i'm at 2.75 inch sand base

cmon loanj 5-6" why
iknow iknow dinitrification of nitrate
but with that much sand there wont be alot of swimming space for the fish 4 should be enought

Well you could start with a 4" base and if you are not getting the denitrification effect that you want, you could always incrementally increase the depth (1/2" per week) until you do.
I would also suggest sticking with the same size grain.
What is your tank depth? Do you have a sump? If so, you could skip the DSB for the main and make a fuge with a DSB in you sump. Just another thought.

Another thought, what are your stocking plans? You could alway skip the DSB for now and see how it goes. It can be added later, thats what I did.
Just another option for you to consider.

You should get plenty of NNR from a 4" sandbed. Remember it does dissolve over time so you will want to add 1" per year or so. I would stick with the same type of sand for looks.

Back
Top Bottom