sand, baserock, or both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
what have you guys done put sand only and live rock or base rock and live rock or used sand and base rock and live rocks? and also do i have to use base rock in my syster or will sand be good enough?

It depends on what you want. I have sand (about 40 pounds) with about 20 pounds of base rock (which is now live) and 14 pound of live rock. I want to get about 10-20 more pound of rock at least.

I used about 80lbs of sand, 60lbs of base rock and 50 lbs of live. you could use more live rock but it'll cost more.

Zach....there is not really a standard.
I personally got about 30-40lb of live sand directly from the gulf and mixed with 40lb agronite. I got 80lb of LR and am supposed to be getting almost another 80lb today. I know a guy who has the license to harvest LR so I am going that route...may take more work and alot of water changes to get my tank stable but Im getting over 150 lbs of LR for far less then I can get it from anywhere else please this rock is premium LR with lots of life :)

you may read about some that mix 25% live sand and 75% play sand or agronite sand (if you can find the right play sand at HD or lowes...thats cheaper)

I have seen most places the Base LR is not much cheaper then the better stuff/premium...its all in what you want to do and can afford.
I found this guy locally thru ebay and so far the 1st 80lb is good...but its uncured fresh harvested LR which means I have to do alot of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom