Sand bed cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I how can I clean my sand bed it's covered in red algae want that out with the sand to stay how can I do it without losing my sand and live stuff in it thanks

My suggestion is to siphon out any of the red algae off any of the sand bed or rock work. Make sure your doing regular water changes and increase your water flow... (Add a power head or position the power heads differently)... More circulation is key and always make sure your water parameters are up to par! I'm sure others with more experience can give you more advice. :) hope this helps though.

Yep, if you have cyano, red slime algae, siphon what you can, just skim over the surface of the sand being careful not to disturb it as much as possible.
Increased flow and reduced feeding and lighting schedule can help combat the cyano from returning.

Can I syphon my sand bed through a filter sock then back into my sump removing all the red algae from my sand bed

I wouldn't. That sand will still have cyano on it. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. The reality is that most tanks have cyano. The key is to figure out why it is flourishing. The major first step is eliminating nitrates. Also increase your flow over your sand bed. When I was brand new to the hobby I had to cut my feeding and increased my water changes two fold for a month to eradicate the visual slime. This will be a patience game. But if you do it right this time you will be better off down the road.

Also check out reef cleaners website. They have some interesting insight into clean up crews that they say will help with cyano (I believe they mean more of a preventative than eradication) may be a good start

Cyano is a nutrient issue. Common to see in the beginning of new tanks, but if not taken care if can continue to cause other problems if it doesn't show back up as cyano.

Clean up crews won't solve the issue, as you are just adding another pooping creature. Cut back on feeding, siphon out the cyano before water changes, use water with less phosphate/nitrates in it...aka distilled or ro/di at best.

Yep, if you have cyano, red slime algae, siphon what you can, just skim over the surface of the sand being careful not to disturb it as much as possible. Increased flow and reduced feeding and lighting schedule can help combat the cyano from returning.

With a 2" sand bottom what could happen if you disturb it too much ?

With a 2" sand bottom what could happen if you disturb it too much ?

What I've done in the past was instead of siphoning the sand bed (like you would with gravel if you've done freshwater before) I take that last part apart and just use the plastic tube and just suck the cyano out with that. It doesn't disturb the sand bed but just make sure you keep an eye on it bc you can suck up sand very easy that way. Just go over the surface of the sand bed.

Ok thanks all for that will a temp it at the weekend and get back to you all thanks

Clean up crews won't solve the issue, as you are just adding another pooping creature. Cut back on feeding, siphon out the cyano before water changes, use water with less phosphate/nitrates in it...aka distilled or ro/di at best.
absolutely. I hope my post didn't sound like adding a CUC would fix this. I was merely stating that that website may have some insight into prevention for the future.

But absolutely cut back on feeding and do more frequent water changes

There several products like ChemClean that will make it disappear quickly. It's not a fix but a temporary repair that won't last. At least it will be gone for about a month per dose. This should you time to find and fix the problem without a constant vacuuming. Check for phosphates and nitrates. Good luck.

Last edited:
Personally, less chemicals inside the tank the better! If you're consistently on top of doing weekly water changes Red slime should go away on its own. If you let it get out of hand then by all means try to fix the issue without chemicals but if you have to use them. But the root of problem will just be masked. Might as well just get it done right the first time. That's my suggestion. Everyone here has valid suggestions!!! OP hope it gets resolved for you!!! Nip it in the butt!!! :)

I have an aquasun light which has white light for to long how much white light should I give my tank I've taken it off auto now slowed it down to 16hrs a day but not full on build up then build down is the light not helping should I build up n down in less time the light was £350 auto seems to have gave me the problem

I've read from multiple sources that light doesn't play as big a part in cyano as some people make it. I'd stick with the thread and understand this is not an overnight fix. It'll take less feeding, more water changes, and a lot of patience.

Trying doing a 3day light out in your aquarium. This still wont fix the problem but at least will eliminate what you see. This will help you visually as you start to look for the root of the problem as other suggested. (more flow, PWC, etc)

Siphoned out as much as possible now looks better for now put 75L of fresh water in so time will tell if I turn the lights out wont that have a bad effect on the corals in my tank? Also only feeding every other day now to see if this helps thanks for all the advise you all been so helpful

Read up on it- 3day black-out period. Most reefer do this once a month. Plenty of good information out there on it .Remenber that if you dont remove the causes you cant completely cure the problem. So this is only a band aid so you wont see the red slime and start to find the source of your problem.

When I did the 3day lights out. On the last day I did a 10g PWC on the cube & the next day another 5gal. I had a few things going on as this bio-cube was a friends and I started to look for problems as to why. This is the reason I like to start everything myself and not get someone else aquarium.

Didn't know the age of the lights so I changed that first. I cleaned the back chamber cause it was full of junk and the sponge was clogged & what might have been the source of the problem. I rearranged the rocks & added a 240gph powerhead & changed the stock power to a stronger pump 400gph (might be way to strong but its working.) I cut back on the feeding as well.

I did plenty of change so cant pin point what was the cause of the problem, but it took some time and before I knew the red slime that was growing in one section of the sand bed and the rocks were gone.

Now got things under control 3 day blackout has done the trick and not been back for over a week now looking much better thanks all

Read up on it- 3day black-out period. Most reefer do this once a month.
Most reefers black out their tanks for 3 days a month? This is news to me, and I know a lot of reefers! Just vacuum out the cyano and up your water changes, reduce feedings, and it will eventually go away. I'll tell you what most reefers do- they overfeed.

Back
Top Bottom