Sand bed or no sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feelthereefer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had a small outbreak of red slime on my sand bed so went to lfs today and he is advising me to take all the sand out and just have a glass bottom said the sand bed is basically just for looks in a reef tank and I could remove it so lets here some opinions on this matter please and thanks in advance..

I would keep the sand bed if it was me. I think tanks without sand look weird. Anyways, just because you take out the sand doesn't mean you'll end the Cyanobacteria....

Correct, the stuff that feeds the cyano will just be sitting on the glass instead of the sand AND really the whole tank is just for looks... why not make it look real.

Bare bottom tanks are becoming really popular actually..I going back and forth with the idea for my next tank...

I like the idea of bare bottom tank but again I really like the sand just not the red slime covering it.. It just appeared like over nite.. First algae out break in 9 months of tanks life..

Feelthereefer said:
I like the idea of bare bottom tank but again I really like the sand just not the red slime covering it.. It just appeared like over nite.. First algae out break in 9 months of tanks life..

You must be overfeeding or over lighting to have an outbreak now.I assume you are using RO/DI water.

I dont care how popular they become I have never snorkeled on a reef with a glass bottom. Thus mine will always have sand.

Yes only rodi water same reef crystal salt have not changed anything or feeding schedule the only thing I can think is I have been giving rods food a try for like the last month everything loves it my lights are on for 12 hours off and the bulbs are 6 months old... All water paremeters are good as well..

Feelthereefer said:
Yes only rodi water same reef crystal salt have not changed anything or feeding schedule the only thing I can think is I have been giving rods food a try for like the last month everything loves it my lights are on for 12 hours off and the bulbs are 6 months old... All water paremeters are good as well..

I use Rod's food to,it is dense,so be careful with amount.Your whites aren't on for twelve hours are they?

Feelthereefer said:
Yes I have a 12 hour photoperiod is that to much.. I have been told that 12 on 12 off is the way to go..

I only have my MH's on for 8 hours,I have my actinic's on starting two hours before and two hours after for a total of twelve hours for the actinic's.You may want to try cutting your MH's back to eight and see if you notice a difference in the algae growth.

There is a differance, did u get live sand or just sand. If you got live sand it is a HUGE benifit because it can hold many little crustants, if you overfeed they will eat it instead of just becoming nitrates. Just do pwc with RO/DI WATER. i had that problem but is is super easy to solve.

My light unit is only halide :(... I.been saving for new ones I got 3 150 watt halides thats all... I guess I just.keep doin two pwc a week an see what happens

if worse comes to worse just use red slime remover its a little yellow powder

Hmmm...I thought live sand was part of the whole natural filtration method. And it makes the environment more like "home" for the inhabitants. The only bare-bottom tank is my QT :)

Hmmm...I thought live sand was part of the whole natural filtration method. And it makes the environment more like "home" for the inhabitants. The only bare-bottom tank is my QT :)

bagged live sand may not be so “live” after sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. dry sand becomes live fairly quickly in a tank with live rock anyway and is cheaper.

Correct...but once it's seeded by the live rock and becomes live sand, it serves as part of the natural filtration method - so it beats a bare-bottom in theory.

Yeah but bare bottom tanks allow for a lot more flow without having sand dunes and all the detritus can be suspended in the water column until it is removed or consumed, but that's the only benefit.

Back
Top Bottom