Sand for a DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have CaribSea Seaflor for a substrate and would like to switch to a DSB. I'm having trouble locating the Southdown sand, but I have access to some sand like is used on golf courses. It seems to be a fine texture and would look great in the tank. I can find out what is actually in the sand but I had a question. What ingredients are not desirable?

silaca sand is not desirable. It has no buffering capacity and also it has jagged edges that deter some organisms that live in the sand.

If I can't find the Southdown sand, what are my other options without paying an arm and a leg. TIA

Yardright or Old Castle are the same as Southdown. Any tropical playsand should be fine. Silica sand is fine if that's all you can get. It just doesn't buffer. However from some research into that subject it seems to me that buffering from the substrate is an 'urban legend'. That is because your water would need to turn acidic before the sand would break down. It does not do this at normal pH levels.

Thanks for the info. If I can only get the silica sand is there any other things that I need to make sure is not in the sand mix? I believe I read something about feldspar but I'm not sure.

Stephen

If it is silica, just be sure it is "child safe". Many silica type sands used in construction and the like will contain other contaminates. Sand sold for use in sandbox's for children is 100% silica and safe for use in your aquarium.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom