Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im finally starting my 60-gal tomorrow, just wanted to know if I should rinse the sand first?
I have 50lbs of Oldcastle (Southdown Sand), and 30 lbs. of CaribSea Aragamax. If I do have to rinse it, how? I cant figure out a way to do it without losing a bunch of sand. I was just going to put it in and let it settle for a while (days).

thanks, B.

you should definately rinse it or youll have a cloudy tank for a week. I have used cheese cloth before, or you can swirl it in buckets of water and pour off the cloudy water. Also i would put the sand in first, then fill the tank using a plate on the sandbed to diffuse the water flow. Good Luck..!

I would actually suggest you do not rinse the sand. All the fine particles will add greatly to the avaialble surface area for bacteria to colonize. It may be a pest in the onset but more of a benefit in the long run...

Darin from CaptiveReefs had an excellent suggestion <<here>>

Cheers
Steve

Can I mix the salt water with sand already in the tank?
I ask this because I was planning on mixing 50 gal of saltwater in the tank without the sand in it, then adding the sand. I live in an apartment without room or means to store 50 gallons of saltwater while I put the sand in, so I cant think of an alternative to the cloudy tank. I may just have to deal with it.

Suggestions? B.

If you add the sand after the water, it will take a week or longer to settle out. If you don't mind the wait it will not be an issue. You could also wait until you have the sand and then add the water after which will be less of an issue for the debris. That is unless the water's already in :wink:

Cheers
Steve

steve is definately right on this one, and I would definately add the sand (cleaned of course) before the water. The storm of sand flying about took forever to lay down, and if you do get impatient waiting for it and turn on your equipment... your filters will pay for it, I almost lost one of my own.

The best way I know of to clean sand is to fill it 3/4 of the way up in a clean 5 gallon bucket and just place the water hose to the bottom and let the loose debris float over the top. Wait about 10 min per bucket and it should be clear.

imo dont rinse the sand and add the sand to the tank then mix up 5 gallons at a time and let it drip over a rock takes some time but alot less than waiting for it to settle just my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom