Sand question (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can you use Sicila based sand in your tank? I have searched high and low and can't find non sicila based sand anywhere except for the lfs @ 24.99 a 20 lb bag. Not wanting to do that I would like to know what are the consenquenses of using sicila base sand?

Silica will not buffer your PH and there is some thoughts that it may cause some diatom blooms, this has not been my experience with it, but some are concerned. Monitor your ALK and PH and it should be fine, make sure you get pure silica.

Aside from the possibility of it being marked on the bag...pure silica should have a breathing hazard warning on it.

Try to find dolomite. It still buffers, however not as well as aragonite. I called my LFS and got some in 2 days when I couldnt find aragonite. I was charged $14 for a 50lb bag. That is a far cry from $24.99 for 20lbs.

Aragonite - calcium carbonate
dolomite - calcium Magnesium carbonate

I was told by a local sand and gravel place that is most commonly used in swimming pool filters. Give some pool supply places a call.

Try to get the dolomite before you fo with the silica. If you waited this long another day of searching won't hurt.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom