sand questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rj_22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I remember not to long ago there was a thread that said "You can get sand from Home depot",but what kind of sand was it? I plan on setting up my new 45 gallon saltwater tank,and I was trying to look at the options of different sand substrates.So if you have this info,please pass it on to me.

Southdown play sand seems to be the sand of choice. The particle size fits Dr. Rons recommendation. I used it and it really looks good and works well.

In North Carolina you may fing it difficult to find. It is mostly marketed in th North East. If it isn't in you local HD, you might try finding a store number in the NE that has some in stock and try arranging a store to store transfer. If this isn't possible, www.purearagonite.com is a slightly more expensive second choice. You should also make sure you look for the Southdown marketed under YardRight Tropical playsand. It will be speciofically marked, "Not Safe For Aquariums", it is safe, they just do this for liability.

A poster on Reef Central said he found some Southdown Playsand at a Home Depot in North Carolina. It also may be under the Yard Right or Old Castle brand names.

Back
Top Bottom