sand sifting goby normal eating pattern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neon_hybrid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a 3 inch sand sifting goby 3 days ago, and up until yesterday, I had not noticed the goby was doing much with the substrate. I came home lastnight, and noticed that almost the entire substrate had been disturbed. I mean all of it except for a small area. Last night, I watched the goby, and he just never stops... Is this normal, or is there not enough algae in the substrate and that is why he is eating so much...

Also is it normal for a goby to hit his mouth on the live rock after he has been eating? I have noticed he will eat for a while, then go over to the live rock and hit is face on the rock a few times. It seems that he is loosening substrate that is trapped in his gills. Is this normal as well?

i dont have one yet, but want to get one, i also watch them at my LFS store and they seem to be sifting machines. how long have you had your tank and how big is it? I myself am a newbie but i would think its fine. I think the most important factor is how long you had your tank. Im sure someone hear knows and will be watching this thread since i want to get one too, i think their really cool.

I have a yellow Headed Sleeper Goby and He is a sifting machine too. Eventually he may mellow down, when he does sift all the surface algae off the sand he will eat Mysis, Brine, and Flake food without a problem.

i have a two spot or paddle fin sand sifter goby. the fifrst few day that i had him he hid and did not do to much but after a few days once he was adjusted to the new tank he started sifting all the time and making tunnels under decor and pilling up my sand everywhere. I have the agranite sand with the larger black pieces within in the sand he will pick them up and seperate in another pile. mine will pick at my decor and live rock but never had him hit his head to loosen sand though. He will eat anything i thrown in and i have had him for at least 4 months and constently rearange my sand and digs up my leather toadstools that i just have sitting in the sand and i have to re seat them. So i think your goby is fine so long as he eats and sifts although i dont know about hitting his head mine never does anything to that sort. Also i didnt know the little guys eat alage i always made sure i feed enough food to hit the bottom so that he has a chance to eat and i dought my tank will support him without me feeding him daily.
hope this helps if not or you have anymore questions than ask and i will try to help with what i know!!!!!

sand sifting goby

I got one yesterday and as soon he got in the tank(1 hour procedure to get him used to water and temperature)he went straight to the live rock and underneath in a very small crevice,5 hours later came out and went around the tank and as soon I moved went in that crevice again and havent seen him again since,is that their normal behavior?

It is not advised to keep a sand sifting Goby, or Wrasse, or Starfish. The reason they over sift your substrate and you are left with sterile sand. All that beneficial bacteria you have tried so long to established can be wiped out with in a week. I would get rid of him ASAP. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is what they do. As to your question about his head bashing behavior you are absolutely right. He is removing built up sand from his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom