Sandsifters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for something to sift the sand on the bottom of my tank because it is starting to turn brown due to the lights. I want a sandsifter to fix the problem what do you all suggest. I looked at a sand sifting star but its get 1ft. in length.

nassarius snails do an awesome job of working the sand surface and burrowing in the sand. very active fun to watch snails

steve r

I have some of them but they don't seem to be doing the job to well, but they do eat detritus and crawl on the live rock// walls/

What about a goby? They are supposed to be great for that.

I'm new but i know there is a few cucumbers that sift the sand and also the more snails and small hermits you have the more effect you will see in your tank. My friend has tons, maybe around 300, of snails and crabs of assorted nature. but yeah there are also gobies but im not sure if you have to have you tnak set up for a while... i know you have to have at least 1yr into it to add a mandarin. however their are certain blennys that will do about the same, such as the sailfin blenny aka lawnmower blenny. The only thing is that they may act agressive toward other blennys so be careful if you add more then one. Also with the cucumbers, you have to take good care of them and watch them cuz if they die they will release a toxin in your tank.

The fighting conch what does it do and do you have any information on it. Also my tank has been set up for 8 months

You could do a small sandsifter if you want. I have had ne for over 6 months and it has not grown much at all. It is maybe 3-4 inches across.

Sounds like you want a small sand sifting star. Would not do more than one though as they depend on the sand and I have read they can quickly eat too much of the live stuff in the sand if overstocked.

...someone mentioned a cucumber -- just be careful because they can release toxins which will kill your livestock

I had a goby once to shift the sand and it work really good, until it died. Now I have the sand shifter star. It does work great.

Someone tried to talk me into getting a conch once. I think I'll pass on those things. Get hermit crabs; they do a great job. Mine are constantly moving around lokking for food.

Whoever said a mandarin; that wouldn't be an idea. They eat pods, and don't clean up at all.

Is the Sand Sifter really that difficult to introduce without it dying? My book says that they are very sensitive.

I had used the goby and the star shifters and they worked great for me, the only thing that I did not liked about the goby is the mound of sand left everywhere, other than that it was fine.

i you REALLY want your sand moved around get a Dragon Goby. Mine is a machine when it comes to moving the sand around.

Back
Top Bottom