Sandsifting starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if I've made a mistake by putting this star in my 75 or not... Sandbed is only about 2"
I know there is loads of life in it small brittles everywhere etc... But sand was looking kind of crappy.... Added star on advice of friend.... Now reading it can wipe out live sand bed rather quickly...... Should I trade this thing back in.?.. Will they take supplemental feedings??
Any help appreciated.....

I would return it before it runs out of food, but thats just me. lol

They have a tendency to eat everything out of the sandbed then burrow into the sand and die, then rot away leaving you with spikes in ammonia and other parameters.

I went with a huge hermit crab instead of a star, he is about 5 inches or so and turns the sand over really really well. Thats if your sand is in need of cleaning. lol

Good luck.

Yea thanks that's basically what I've been reading.... Wondering if many have luck feeding meaty bits??

I've heard of people putting meaty foods into the sand but I wouldnt count on it being enough. Plus you'll just muck up your water leaving meaty foods to rot.

I also have kept one for over a year in a 20 gallon tank. No issues whatsoever

I kept one in my 30 gallon with no issues for a couple years. I have 4" of sand bed for reference.

Is this brittle stars we are talking about ?
I have a monster black brittle star ,
He is huge !

I have had mine a few months over a year in my 55gl. No problems. I was told to take notice when they climb the glass or rock it's a sign the are looking for food. Mine will eat squid occasionally.. If I can get a piece under him without it blowing away or the crabs stealing it!
I was doing some maintenance and accidentally took the tip of one of his legs off but that was weeks ago and he seems fine. I hope I'm able to keep him for many more years! I've heard they don't live long... Seeing 4 years above keeps my hopes up!

I think I have one, I know I put it in there and every once in a while I see a bump in the sand...lol

I did have a very few very small ones I got as hitch hikers .
I haven't seen them since.
There was 2 small white brittle stars and a few of these other starfish .
They were very small

I did have a very few very small ones I got as hitch hikers . I haven't seen them since. There was 2 small white brittle stars and a few of these other starfish . They were very small
those were most likely asterina starfish and not sand sifters.

those were most likely asterina starfish and not sand sifters.

What's the chance of them being alive still ?
I have a bigger black brittle star that is doing great .
I haven't saw the small white brittle stars or the other white starfish in a few months .

I have a sand sifting starfish, I put in about 6 months ago and then didn't see for 2+ months and now he comes out for a day or two every month or so, usually at night (I see him early in the morning before he scuttles away)

-40 gallon
-AquaC remora pro
-3 green chromis
-1 Ocellaris clownfish
-1 azure damselfish

Normally, sand sifting starfish are a bad idea in our aquariums. These guys need a very mature sandbed to get the food they require. And they eat a lot...it is very easy for them to eat everything out of the sandbed and simply starve. This is a very common happening with these guys.

I have had mine in my 75g for about 3yrs. Prior to that, had another in my 90g for 5 plus years. Opinions vary just as personal experiences vary with them. I have always kept a dsb in all my tanks so maybe that provides enough sustenance for the sand sifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just got a sand sifting star in my 29 with two inch sand bed. Tank is only 3 mos old. Sigh listened to lfs employee without researching. Anything I can do to keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom