Sarah's 150gl build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look what I got Friday!!! I went full spectrum, got 3 of them!

We also siliconed in the plexiglass tray incase of water disasters (this is before it's dry, it will be clear).

The stand part is one coat away from being done! Still have more to go on the canopy, can only do one side at a time.

Attachments

• image-44041158.jpg
    image-44041158.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4044612763.jpg
    image-4044612763.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2973895880.jpg
    image-2973895880.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 107
Nice wont be long now (y)

Nope! However I may wait a bit longer to purchase two vortech mp40's! I'd like to do it right from the start. As anyone in the hobby knows that's a $930 investment! So those & my return pump are the last few big things, besides rock & sand.

Can anyone suggest a place online to order my sand? I'm going with fiji pink. Locally the cheapest I can find is $26.89+ tax for 20lb.

Then a big debate.... We're moving in July (think we may buy a house) so I'm not sure if I want to deal with setting it up for 6mo then moving it. When I got my 55gl we moves it (bought off Craigslist) so I know it can be a pain! Thoughts?

Did you look at the shipping cost?

I would give them a call his shipping quote is 4.75
(does seem to low) Customer service staff are available M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST.  Emails sent during this time are typically returned within 1 hour. Emails sent outside of our customer service hours are returned the next business day.  If you prefer you can also reach us by phone at 1-866-601-5616 (toll free).

I would give them a call his shipping quote is 4.75
(does seem to low) Customer service staff are available M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST.  Emails sent during this time are typically returned within 1 hour. Emails sent outside of our customer service hours are returned the next business day.  If you prefer you can also reach us by phone at 1-866-601-5616 (toll free).

When I went to the page it quoted like 30$ shipping

why not try* pool filter sand? ands way cheaper than $1/lb. as for setting it up or not, id get it set up. that way it will cycle and stabilize, then you can move it and continue about your business. whereas if you wait till you move, youll have to wait through the cycle.

I just used 200 lbs of pool filter sand in my 180g and it cost me about $20 at home depot.

Wow! I may do this for my sump but I really like the looks of the fiji pink.

Setup: if I don't set it up I'll have to move a 55gl full reef, BUT if I do set it up I'll then have to move the 150 but I could keep the corals limited until then. My plan is to sell the 55gl once I get what I want moved out of it.

I have used fji pink before and its a nice color but I tend to like the texture and size of the pool filter sand so I just keep using it. lol i also could not get past the cost of regular sand let alone fiji pink for such a huge tank. It's all about what you like. :)

I have used fji pink before and its a nice color but I tend to like the texture and size of the pool filter sand so I just keep using it. lol i also could not get past the cost of regular sand let alone fiji pink for such a huge tank. It's all about what you like. :)

Thanks for your thoughts! It's one of those things that's hard to change once you choose.

This varnishing is taking forever! I can only get to do it on weekends. At this rate I'm thinking it will go well into January! *sigh*

The plexi tray looks good. No fear of water damage there now!

Attachments

• image-1625162850.jpg
    image-1625162850.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3791008581.jpg
    image-3791008581.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2097928794.jpg
    image-2097928794.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 122
This varnishing is taking forever! I can only get to do it on weekends. At this rate I'm thinking it will go well into January! *sigh*

The plexi tray looks good. No fear of water damage there now!

Looking good....
I here you on the staining... It took me all summer to do mine.. I had to strip the stand & canopy, sand them, stained them and ran out of stain so I ended up having to go back to the paint store to get more and they could not match the previous stain color so I had to restripe it again and start over with my new stain color then put the clear protective coating on it.

Were did you get the plexi glass trays at?

Looking good.... I here you on the staining... It took me all summer to do mine.. I had to strip the stand & canopy, sand them, stained them and ran out of stain so I ended up having to go back to the paint store to get more and they could not match the previous stain color so I had to restripe it again and start over with my new stain color then put the clear protective coating on it. Were did you get the plexi glass trays at?

Ya we stained it goths now the varnish is what's taking so long! It will be worth it!

I had a problem in my current tank where I had a leak in my sump and have some water damage on the stand. So I went to Lowes and bought a piece of plexiglass and they cut it to the measurements of my stand for me! Cost me about a total of $60 and that includes the silicone! It was one of the easiest things I've done so far on this stand!

shoulda ran a drain plug while you were doing it, that way water doesnt sit down there and collect.

shoulda ran a drain plug while you were doing it, that way water doesnt sit down there and collect.

My plan is to use mini shop vac. Crossing my fingers I'll never have to deal with a huge leak though! Drain would of been a good idea.. Oh well to late now.

Wow! I may do this for my sump but I really like the looks of the fiji pink.

Setup: if I don't set it up I'll have to move a 55gl full reef, BUT if I do set it up I'll then have to move the 150 but I could keep the corals limited until then. My plan is to sell the 55gl once I get what I want moved out of it.
I would set the new tank up at the new house, cycle it with whatever rock you are adding, then bring all of the 55 gallon over in one shot and toss it right in.

I would set the new tank up at the new house, cycle it with whatever rock you are adding, then bring all of the 55 gallon over in one shot and toss it right in.

The only thing I'm keeping from the 55gl is a few corals & my livestock, the rock is hand made and I decided to buy real rock for the new tank. My concern is the stand has water damage and I'm not wanting to build/but a new one. It's fine where it's sitting but I don't think it's movable then usable. It's just made out of that cheap pressboard! When I sell it I'm suggesting the buyer buy/make a new stand before they come get the tank, this I don't want to deal with. Therefore I'd rather set up my 150gl and sell the 55gl before we move.

Back
Top Bottom