Schooling Bannerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One should be fine- but I wouldn't add more than that. Also- it would depend on other fish in the aquarium since you don't want to overstock the tank.

"The most distinguishing feature of the Schooling Bannerfish Heniochus diphreutes is its rounder breast and less protruding snout."
- liveaquaria

Try going on liveaquaria and searching banner fish to see the difference between the two

Okay dokey thanks ;) the only other large fish that will be in the tank is a one spot foxface. Its a 66 gallon tank. The rest are nano fish

None of the bannerfish are completely reef safe and may consume coral polyps, invertebrates, etc. The other downside is that they become fairly aggressive as they age and get quite large. I used to have 3 or 4 in a 500g and over time, as they grew, they became dominant towards all other fish and eventually only one bannerfish remained. I don't personally recommend these fish for any tank under 180g.

Haha yes crister thats me at the beach ;)

and okay we will rethink the whole schooling bannerfish thing. If they dont live a good life in my tank i dont think i want one. I really want a fish like that though... Anything els that has long flowing fins like the bannerfish?

IDK what other fish you have but if theyre decent sized you could get a marine betta. Theyre a type of grouper but have elegant flowing fins like you want lol. Or if you like fish like triggers you could get a filefish. Theyre really really awesome.

crister13 said:
IDK what other fish you have but if theyre decent sized you could get a marine betta. Theyre a type of grouper but have elegant flowing fins like you want lol. Or if you like fish like triggers you could get a filefish. Theyre really really awesome.

Reef safe? Those guys really are cool!! I love unique fish, thats what its all about.

Batfish?

If you had a 150 ya I would say batfish. Check out orbivulate batfish on google. I have one as my centerpiece! The filefish and betta im not sure about if theyre reef safe or not, but I have a trigger AND a grouper in my reef sooo.............. ya. They wont bother corals.

crister13 said:
If you had a 150 ya I would say batfish. Check out orbivulate batfish on google. I have one as my centerpiece! The filefish and betta im not sure about if theyre reef safe or not, but I have a trigger AND a grouper in my reef sooo.............. ya. They wont bother corals.

Lol. But there may be missing inverts

Jlsardina said:
Lol. But there may be missing inverts

Lol yeah the betta would get some inverts for sure.

Hopefully the filefish is reef safe though!! I would love one! Whats their behavior like?

crister13 said:
Ive heard theyre usually pretty timid.

I thought so too. Invert and coral safe? I heard they bury themselves..? Maybe thats wrong

Marine bettas have fairly small mouths, mainly shrimp would be the issue. What type of filefish are you considering, many kinds you know?

Innovator said:
Marine bettas have fairly small mouths, mainly shrimp would be the issue. What type of filefish are you considering, many kinds you know?

Ha you tell me! I like them, but not any certain type.

The easiest filefish is the bristle/leatherjacket/aiptasia eating filefish, but they are mottled tan/brown...most filefish are not very big so hopefully you don't have a pred. tank

They were fine in reefs for me (had 4), but each fish is different. Reef-safe isn't really a reliable term :)

Technically - reef safe should mean coral and invert safe. Many people just assume it means coral safe. Whenever I ask about a fish I no longer say is it reef safe- I say is it coral and invert safe. Inverts are an essential part of a reef tank and while they are cheap to replace- it gets expensive over time.

Back
Top Bottom