Scotter Dragonette and hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fish are in qt and in hyposalinity for a week. Everyone is doing fine except for 1 of my Dragonettes. He stoped eating 3 days ago (unusual for him) and just kind of sits in one spot. No fast breathing or any other symptoms. I know they are hard to keep but I have had him for 8 months and he usually eats like a horse. My other Dragonette is doing fine.
Is this fish sensative to hypo treatment?
I would like to move him, but I know he needs to go through the treatment.
I have been battling ammonia, but have been keeping agressive water changes. Like I said all others are fine.
Any Ideas?

The fish is fine in hypo provided you check the pH daily. The pH tends to fall in hyposaline conditions. If the pH is fine and you are using an accurate refractometer and not a plastic swing arm hydrometer then the problem is probably not the hyposalinity.

Cheers,
Terry B

I use a refractometer and I have a PH monitor on the tank. With a little daily buffering, its been staying 8.1-8.2
He may miss his pods, but he has always eaten the angelfish food. My other scotter is still eating it, but he stopped. His activity level has dropped off to almost nothing.
I think its the ammonia, I can't quite get it to 0.
I think I will move him to a 10 gallon tonight. This way I can try and get him to eat again and he doesn't have to compete with my Heni's and Angel for the food.
Thanks all.

Well, was gonna move him tonight but he passed today :cry:
. Really weird, all the other fish are fine including the other scotter.
To bad, he was a sweet fish.

Thanks Sparky, I still have the other one. It makes no sense, he was fine before the move. I guess it was all too much for him, or maybe he was just old.

Back
Top Bottom