Scraper for Coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been wanting to get rid of my excessive coralline growth on my acrylic tank walls. Credit cards do not seem to be that effective and i need to reach into tight spots with it. Im thinking about about actually purchasing a commercial scraper like kent or jbj. Does anyone have any good experiences with a certain acrylic scraper? Not looking to scratch up the walls.

I try to avoid commercial scrapers. A few of them have ended up scratching my glass tanks. Usually with my coralline I grab a sturdy credit card and chisel away at it although it takes a while. It's the best option I've found so far.

I try to avoid commercial scrapers. A few of them have ended up scratching my glass tanks. Usually with my coralline I grab a sturdy credit card and chisel away at it although it takes a while. It's the best option I've found so far.

Yea I hear ya. I was just hoping there was something better gripping a CC in my hand for hours every 1-2 weeks. I swear Im gonna end up with arthritis if I keep this up. lol

What's wrong with Kent marine scrapers. Best on the market and are acrylic safe.

I think i might try the kent anyways (maybe test it on small areas on the back or sides). I was planning on getting an urchin to help but I didnt want it to wear my zoas.

I use the refill blades of a large exacto knife. Works wonders!!!!!

Plus when you get through scraping off the coralline algae you could always give some to your fellow reefers in your town - area they may want some Coralline algae to help seed their tanks... I know I have been trying to get some from some fellow reefers here in Houston but one person never contacted me back and the other went and bought an urchin and now 90% of her Coralline algae is gone. But the one that bought the urchin has glass tanks so I don't know how one would do on acrylic tanks.

If anyone in the South Jersey/Philly area has coralline scrapings that they want to get rid of, I'll take it :)

If anyone in the South Jersey/Philly area has coralline scrapings that they want to get rid of, I'll take it :)
I'm in Pottstown and should be able to help you out with that but I know I'm to busy this weekend so it'll have to be sometime next week

I'm in Pottstown and should be able to help you out with that but I know I'm to busy this weekend so it'll have to be sometime next week

Thanks...that's a bit far for either of us, unless you happen to be making a trip into the city, which would be about halfway.

Sunday morning I'm driving 100 miles to Scranton to pick up a protien skimmer I found on CL so distances don't really bother me much, my biggest issue is finding time while working third shift 6-7 days a week

A black spiny urchin will take care of it, my tank (125 has none because of him, I have to throw him in the sump every couple of weeks after it gets build up, Iv had one for 10 or more years

A black spiny urchin will take care of it, my tank (125 has none because of him, I have to throw him in the sump every couple of weeks after it gets build up, Iv had one for 10 or more years

They eat that super hard to get off algae? Is it recommended to get one for a 10 gallon tank? Also, are they poisonous? How bad?

They eat that super hard to get off algae? Is it recommended to get one for a 10 gallon tank? Also, are they poisonous? How bad?

He would starve to death in a short time, I can't even keep enough in my 125, thats why I let it grow in the sump and use that as supplement. He would be out of food in a week in a 10 g

He would starve to death in a short time, I can't even keep enough in my 125, thats why I let it grow in the sump and use that as supplement. He would be out of food in a week in a 10 g

Noted, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom